• Develop and implement Outdoor Education opportunities for Primary – 9th level students including lessons in classrooms, on campus and day trips.
• Actively create opportunities and teach Environmental Science to Primary – 6th levels
• Responsible for planning and facilitating overnight trips that implement the Outdoor/Environmental Skills curriculum: 9th level outdoor trip (kayaking), Middle School outdoor adventure trip (hiking in Colorado), Upper Elementary campout/s, and 3rd level overnight.
• Maintain relationships with area organizations to support the Outdoor/Environmental Skills curriculum
• Design activities to develop teamwork and problem-solving for students
• Support the physical, social, and emotional development of students
• Tracking, purchasing, and maintaining equipment
• Completes state-mandated bus driver training
• Administers the Outdoor and Environmental Education budget.
• Participate in a regular evaluation process including classroom observations, self-evaluation, and annual goal setting.
• Strives to exhibit the behavior described in the Alcuin Standards of Faculty Excellence.
• Communicates with parents, administrators, and student support staff concerning the emotional and physical well-being of students.
• Other tasks as assigned by the Head of School or Associate Head of School for Academics.
• Bachelor’s Degree
• Good health
• Detail-oriented, with advanced organization/logistic skills
• Experience working with children/young adults and with leading multi-day wilderness trips.
• Ability to interact and communicate appropriately and professionally with parents, students, and colleagues.
• Texas Master Naturalist certification preferred
• Current Wilderness First Responder or EMT preferred
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
• Occasionally lift classroom supplies/equipment weighing up to 50 lbs.
• Ability to sit, stand, bend, stoop, and reach for extended periods of time on a daily basis.
• Ability to perform repetitive physical tasks such as at a computer keyboard.
• Works in standard classroom conditions and climates.
• Works outdoors supervising children at carpool, on the playground, on outdoor field trips, and on multi-day wilderness trips or urban trips.
The Outdoor & Environmental Education Coordinator develops and implements methods to encourage and facilitate students’ physical, social and emotional development and increase environmental awareness.
About Alcuin School
Alcuin School inspires its students to reach their highest levels of personal and academic achievement, guides them to become compassionate global citizens, and prepares them to embrace challenges with confidence and innovation by providing the ideal Montessori and International Baccalaureate education.