NOLS (National Outdoor Leadership School) is a nonprofit global wilderness school that supports thousands of students each year all over the world. Our school began in a small cabin in Sinks Canyon, Wyoming in 1965 as the National Outdoor Leadership School. At that time, we were primarily an outdoors skills school, doing our work in local mountain ranges and exploring what it meant to teach leadership in the backcountry. Today, we are NOLS, a multifaceted wilderness school headquartered in Lander, Wyoming with locations in seven U.S. states and six countries, that supports thousands of students each year all over the world in both field & classroom courses.
Reporting to the Alumni & Donor Relations Director, the Alumni Relations Coordinator (ARC) is a full-time position responsible for building and maintaining relationships with NOLS alumni, friends, and families by developing and coordinating alumni events, networks, and communications. This person must recognize the value of developing and fostering long-term relationships and championing the NOLS mission to grow alumni engagement and giving.
At its core, this position makes connections— between NOLS and our grads and with each other. Recognizing touchstones that resonate with our alumni, enrolled students and families is an important element of building relationships over the long term. Understanding the challenges, shared experience, uncertainties and successes our constituents share and then communicating those commonalities is a key requirement for this position.
This position requires a high degree of judgment, responsibility, organization, collaboration, and management. Implementing effective written and oral communication skills is essential. The ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, work across multiple departments and meet continuous deadlines is a must.
The ARC should effectively represent NOLS’ mission and philosophy, and embrace diversity as a strategic advantage.
The qualifications listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Two to five years of experience in constituent engagement, best-in-class advancement processes and procedures, and alumni and volunteer management, preferably in a nonprofit or higher education setting.
- Outstanding communicator with proven experience building and developing relationships through compelling communications, exceptional events, and other engagement opportunities.
- Commitment to teamwork and eagerness to effectively work collaboratively with colleagues from across the organization in a hybrid office environment.
- Demonstrated ability to think flexibly and creatively and thrive in a complex environment, juggling numerous and varied projects simultaneously.
- Affinity with NOLS mission; NOLS graduate and/or familiarity with NOLS programming is valued.
- Ability to passionately and accurately represent NOLS to a variety of constituents including board, staff, alumni, donors, parents, and other friends of the school.
- Experience in planning and executing successful events and communications within defined budgetary and timeline parameters.
- Working knowledge of web-based marketing and alumni or community engagement platforms.
- Proficiency with computer office software and database usage.
- Proficiency in writing, reviewing and editing.
- Budget management included planning, tracking, and compliance.
- Ability to work with limited supervision, reflecting initiative and flexibility in starting and completing projects in a timely manner.
- The ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive data.
- Strong work ethic and integrity.
Key Responsibilities and Priorities
- Deliver outstanding alumni experiences through tailored stewardship, communications, and events, ensuring alumni feel valued, therefore increasing volunteer engagement, goodwill, and philanthropic support.
- Assist with the planning and strategy for the school’s alumni-related social media platforms and engagement strategies. Serve as the interface between the school and external constituencies.
- Manage the planning and execution of a variety of alumni events (in person and virtual) designed to engage and involve NOLS alumni, overseeing contract negotiation, vendor selection, event marketing and communications, logistics, and budgeting.
- Coordinate new grad info – session talks, packets, etc. at each campus.
- Serve as a speaker for alumni info session talks and NOLS facility tours.
- Production, ordering, data pull, and distribution of hard copy and electronic mailings:
- The Leader
- grad packet supplies
- promotional items
- other communication materials
- Assist with the creation, content, and production of alumni publications, communications, and digital engagement. Primary lead on several alumni electronic networks, communities and functions:
- Create content for Alumni e-Newsletter
- Manage JobsNetwork, including customer service
- Edit select alumni web pages
- Assist with alumni social media management
- Manage and initiate partnerships with appropriate companies/organizations for Alumni benefits
- Travel and attendance for evening and/or weekend activities will be regularly required.
- Manage Alumni Inbox
This is a full-time, benefited position with a starting salary of $38,480 ($18.50/hour).
Preference for this position would be to be based in Lander, Wyoming. Second preference would be to be based near the Rocky Mountain west who are legal residents of Colorado, Idaho, Montana, and Utah. Current employees and residents in the state of Colorado please contact HR for salary information.
NOLS can currently employ remote employees who are legal residents of: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Maine, Minnesota, Montana, New York, Utah, Washington, or Wyoming.
COVID-19 Vaccine Policy
All employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their first day of work, unless they meet a medical, disability or religious exemption and a reasonable accommodation is approved. Any COVID-19 vaccine approved by the World Health Organization (WHO) is an acceptable vaccine for the purpose of this policy. Full vaccination or an approved exemption is a condition of employment for all new employees.
Equal Employment Opportunity
NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
NOLS values community and fosters a sense of belonging for our employees and applicants. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations in the workplace because they embody these values, as well as our operating principle of promoting a positive, safe, and learning environment. Reasonable accommodations may be requested for disability; limitations related to pregnancy, childbirth, or a related medical condition; religion; and domestic violence, sexual assault, stalking, or harassment. Reasonable accommodations may be requested at any point of the employment process, including during recruitment. Please email [email protected] with your request.
- A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
- NOLS participates in E-verify.
- Current NOLS employees please note it is NOLS policy to conduct an internal reference check with human resources and/or your current supervisor as part of the reference check process. If you have any questions or concerns about this process please contact human resources.
How to Apply
Please send your PDF cover letter and resume, and any questions to: Melissa Carrera at [email protected]
Closing Date for Applications
Open Until Filled
The target start date for this role is two weeks from the time of offer.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.