Alzar Gap is seeking instructors to lead semester-long gap programs based in the Pacific Northwest and Patagonia during the Summer, Fall and/or Spring 2022/23 season. Alzar accomplishes its mission to ‘build leaders who positively impact the world’ through the intersection of service learning, leadership training, outdoor adventure, and cultural immersion. Instructors are responsible for facilitating several multi-day river and backpacking expeditions, providing mentorship to students, teaching leadership skills and fostering a supportive community.
Programs and Dates:
The Western Whitewater program runs from June 12th – July 16th, 2022.
The Patagonia Exchange program runs from September 27th – December 15th 2022, and January 10th – March 30th, 2023.
The Wild and Scenic program runs from February 2nd – May 30th 2023.
Please email the Director of Alzar Gap at [email protected] for a more detailed job description.
- Wilderness First Responder or equivalent medical training
- Swiftwater Rescue Technician
***Note: Alzar School is a licensed training provider for the American Red Cross, often hosts Swiftwater Rescue Technician trainings, and can help candidates obtain their Idaho Guide’s License. The hiring timeline allows for candidates to obtain necessary outdoor certifications (such as the WFR and SRT certifications) after hire but before starting work if needed.
- Experience building positive group culture, facilitating conflict resolution, and fostering emotionally safe environments
- Experience leading groups of young adults on extended trips in remote and/or international locations
- Intermediate proficiency in whitewater river environments (either rafting and/or kayaking)
- Approximately 400 river miles class 3 or above documented as the primary person responsible for the craft
- Intermediate proficiency in backpacking and camp craft
- Ability to connect and build rapport with young adults
- Experience teaching, guiding and/or coaching
- Strong cultural competence and ability to build rapport with people from other cultures
- Intermediate to advanced proficiency in reading, writing and speaking Spanish (if applying to lead the Patagonia Exchange program)
About Alzar Gap
Alzar Gap is an experiential education organization that provides high school graduates with life-changing experiences while offering tangible leadership training in world-class destinations. We currently offer three different Gap Programs that range from 35 to 90 days in both North and South America.