Summary of Position: The Membership and Communications Director is responsible for the management and success of AMGA’s individual membership and accreditation (business membership) programs. The position also includes the management of AMGA’s member communications through email newsletters, social media, an annual print publication, and other communication channels. The Membership Director supervises the Membership and Communications Associate; the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Manager; and the half-time Accreditation Manager. Given the interconnected nature of the responsibilities across numerous facets of the organization, success requires extensive collaboration among different departments in the AMGA.
– Develop exceptional working relationships with AMGA members and Accredited Businesses
– Support the AMGA membership by providing outstanding customer service in day-to-day operations and communications
– Evaluate AMGA’s current membership retention challenges and opportunities, and implement strategies to retain existing members
– Manage AMGA’s member benefits program including occasional development of new benefits to support AMGA members
– Develop strategy for AMGA’s member communications and work with the Membership and Communications Associate to manage AMGA’s email communications, social media, member forums, website content, and annual print publication (Guide Bulletin)
– Maintain AMGA’s membership database (CiviCRM)
– Administer AMGA’s scholarship program
– Oversee AMGA’s merchandise sales program
– Manage AMGA’s regional member gatherings and AMGA’s presence at selected industry events; department will run registration and related logistics for the AMGA Annual Meeting
– Support the AMGA Accreditation Manager to deliver membership benefits to AMGA Accredited Businesses
– Maintain the AMGA’s public and member-only website content, including the development of new content when needed.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
– Support the AMGA DEI Manager to implement strategies to enhance diversity, equity, and inclusion within the AMGA organization and membership
Supervision, Organizational Leadership, and Support
– Supervise Membership and Communications Associate, DEI Manager, and Accreditation Manager positions
– Supervise annual Board of Directors elections in collaboration with the Board of Directors Governance Committee
– Support the Executive Director and Deputy Director on short and long-term projects as assigned
– Serve on the AMGA “Leadership Team” which advises the Executive Director and coordinates inter-departmental projects
– Invest time as needed to learn about all aspects of AMGA operations to be a better decision maker and representative of the organization
-Competitive starting annual salary range of $61,000 – $66,000
-401(k) retirement plan with 5% employer match after 6 months
-Employer paid Medical and Dental Insurance
Exceptional team player; strong verbal and written communication skills
Ability to cultivate staff relationships and manage a small team of employees
Detail oriented with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
Proficiency in Google Workspace; Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint; and Mac OS
Experience with or ability to learn customized membership database (CiviCRM), WordPress, and email marketing software (Mailchimp)
Experience with membership retention strategies strongly preferred
Interest in the mission of the AMGA; experience with climbing, skiing, guiding, or outdoor education is strongly preferred
About American Mountain Guides Association
The AMGA's mission is to be the leader in education, standards, and advocacy for professional guides and climbing instructors.
The AMGA is a non-profit organization dedicated to training, and advocacy for American guides and instructors.
The AMGA is a professional, yet casual work environment that supports employees meeting their professional goals and fosters a sense of community in a positive work environment. Employment at the AMGA means working with highly motivated and talented people who are committed to bettering the future of guiding and instructing in the US.