Instructor positions are available as Seasonal Full Time or Weekend Only
Our Education Program is the core of Bluebird Backcountry. During our first two years, we have pioneered Backcountry 1, 2 and 3 courses, mentorship programs, advanced clinics and taught over 1,000 students. For many people, Bluebird will be their very first taste of the backcountry, and we strive to offer educational programming throughout a customer’s backcountry lifecycle.
We’re looking for qualified instructors who are experienced, enthusiastic backcountry skiers and splitboarders. You will spend your days teaching people how to backcountry ski. We love instructors who are excited to make backcountry skiing and splitboarding more welcoming and accessible.
What Makes This Job Great
– You’re outside on skis or splitboard every day
– You can share your love for backcountry skiing in an uncrowded natural mountain (no chairlifts or village here)
– Be part of a motivated team bringing something new to the ski industry
Compensation, Location and Housing
– Bluebird Backcountry is located halfway between Kremmling and Steamboat Springs, Colorado
– This is a full-time, seasonal role from mid-December 2021 through March 27, 2022 (we also have a part-time job description here)
– Bluebird is open for 5 days/week, Thursday through Monday
– Pay is $120/day for a 5-7 hour day
– We have an hour or two of extra work available daily at $20/hour if you are interested
– You’re welcome to ski or ride for free on the mountain after your lessons for the day have finished
– We can provide employee housing if needed at a significantly discounted rate
- An excellent off-piste skier/rider with at least 5 seasons of backcountry skiing or splitboarding experience
- Possesses AIARE Level 1-Rec avalanche education (or equivalent)
- Is familiar with Bluebird Backcountry, our mission, and our goals
- Has previous coaching or teaching experience
- Has excellent verbal communication skills
- Is able to work collaboratively in a small grassroots environment
- Has a passion for backcountry skiing and sharing the sport!
About Bluebird Backcountry Ski Area
Bluebird Backcountry is the first and only fully human-powered, in-bounds backcountry ski area in the country. With a mission to make backcountry skiing safer and easier to learn, our operation features a 1,200-acre avalanche-managed and ski-patrolled area with zero chairlifts. Guests visit to try backcountry skiing, develop their backcountry skills, and explore new terrain in a relatively safe, welcoming, social, and educational backcountry environment.
Bluebird Backcountry is located on the Continental Divide in Colorado, halfway between Kremmling and Steamboat Springs. Our team has a welcoming, energetic, get-it-done culture. We are excited to introduce a new way to think about skiing… and to see just how far we can take the Bluebird Backcountry concept.