As a Camp Natoma Counselor, you have the opportunity to make a lasting difference in kids’ lives. We hire enthusiastic, caring role models to be group campsite leaders and outdoor activity instructors for kids ages 7-17. Instructional activities include the choice of archery and ax-throwing, swimming, handicrafts/art, theater arts/drama, outdoor skills, or nature exploration. Natoma Counselors spend the summer in our cooperative living community and help support our purpose of building connected people through nature-immersive and creativity-inspiring camp experiences.
Dates: June 19th – August 20th, 2023
– Transportation to and from local airports and train stations
– Pre-arrival and ongoing training
– 1:1 mentorship from the leadership team
– Staff portfolio to track personal and professional growth
– On-site medical personnel
– On-call mental health providers
– Resume-building workshop to translate your camp experience to other jobs and/or industries
– Certification and additional stipend provided for lifeguards and archery instructors
Pay: Starting at $450/week – onsite rustic accommodations and food is included
- High school graduate or equivalent,
- CPR & First Aid Certifications (Can be completed after hire & before arriving on-site)
- Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to camp activities.
- Ability to adapt to rough terrain, heat, and living outdoors.
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment fingerprint and background test.
Communicates well within groups and provides necessary instruction to campers and staff.
Can respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid, can assist campers in an emergency, and possess the strength and endurance to maintain constant supervision of campers.
Understand the philosophy and objectives of Camp Natoma, and be able to pass this knowledge to others.
Ability to observe camper behavior; assess for appropriateness; enforce safety regulations and apply behavior management techniques.
Training and experience in recreation activities.
Desire and ability to work with children outdoors.
Understand the development needs of youth.
Ability to relate to one’s peer group and youth in a positive manner.
Good character, integrity, and adaptability.
Ability to accept guidance and supervision.
Ability to design and coordinate a varied program designed for camp.
Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality.
Enthusiasm, sense of humor, patience, and self-control.
About Camp Natoma
Camp Natoma is an entirely outdoors, screen-free, residential summer camp on 360 acres of beautiful oak woodland in the Adelaida Hills of Paso Robles, California that promotes the healthy experience of outdoor living. Staff amplify the joyful experiences and activities of summer camp to break down social, cultural, and other barriers to help campers connect as humans. Friends of Camp Natoma, Inc. (our parent organization) opens outdoor camping as an opportunity for all youth, creating a diverse environment where each individual is deeply cared for and respected. Camp Natoma staff are committed to shaping this summer community as a place for youth to grow.