As a Program Director, you will be part of a dynamic and growing international education organization with a proven track record of transformational programming around the world. The primary function of this role is the coordination and supervision of cultural immersion programs for groups of up to 13 students and 2 Overseas Educators (OEs). We are planning to add summer programming and will expect PDs to be able to manage 2-4 programs concurrently per term in Fall, Spring, and 1-2 in Summer.
Essential building blocks across all CDE programs are volunteer work, cultural exchange opportunities, language study (where applicable), outdoor adventure travel, and a reflective component. Program Directors are responsible for planning itineraries that support Carpe Diem’s vision and mission, creating a program budget, assisting in Overseas Educator (OE) training, and acting as a support for OEs, students, and students’ families before and during the program. You will report to the Executive Director and work closely with other Program Directors, and the Overseas Educators who are facilitating your program.
Working for Carpe Diem Education is a community experience. In addition to your responsibilities as a Program Director, you will be involved with the student services and enrollment process, attend weekly staff meetings, support with administrative tasks, answer phones, support OE training, and participate in strategic planning . When programs are in session, you will also be required to be “on-call” for the OE Emergency Phone for 1-3 weeks during each term.
This position will be full time, starts as a 12-month position with an option to extend, and is located at our headquarters in Portland, OR. We work all day in the office Monday and Wednesday, and then remotely the balance of the week, taking turns answering the general call in number.
• 3+ years working in gap year, experiential education, and/or related fields
• Minimum requirement of a Bachelors Degree
• The more extensively traveled, preferably having lived or worked abroad, the better
• International leadership experience with Carpe Diem Education or a similar company a plus
• Program development experience preferred
• Preferable training in social work, mental health, and related fields
• Wilderness First Responder certification preferred
• Language Proficiency in any regions we travel to are a plus
• Excellent communication, interpersonal, verbal, and writing skills
• Patience, flexibility, and the ability to work well in a team setting, and emergencies
• Connections with international non-profits, organizations, and quality in-country contacts
• Familiarity with Apple products / operating systems, Microsoft Excel, Google.drive
About Carpe Diem Education
Carpe Diem Education offers a variety of gap year education opportunities for students interested in exploring opportunities outside of the traditional classroom. We organize dynamic, fast-paced adventures in regions around the world to help facilitate higher learning and personal growth. These programs incorporate language learning, homestays, and volunteer projects in each 12-week trip to provide a more well-rounded learning experience.
Our gap year programs are designed to safely challenge every student. Through service, travel, community, and cultural exchange, our students receive a unique and personal insight into themselves and the cultures they live within. Our programs fully immerse our students in local culture while simultaneously providing valuable, real-world skills. We challenge our students by consciously teaching them how to be better group leaders and better self-leaders—and how to safely travel independently anywhere in the world.