The Eagle’s Nest Foundation Garden Manager is responsible for the oversight of the Eagle’s Nest gardens and composting systems, and is the person who does the majority of the actual physical labor associated with cultivating the garden. The Eagle’s Nest garden is a modest but dynamic 2-acre plot focused mainly on production of annual vegetables with a strong educational component involving students and campers. The garden consists of a high tunnel, a small greenhouse, a garden cottage, a large composting system, and workable field space for rows, beds or other growing systems. The Garden should resemble a highly functional small production farm, providing high quality products to our kitchen. Our Garden to Table program is integral to supporting our sustainability goals. The Garden will provide space for classes, workshops, and hands-on learning.
The Garden Manager is supervised by the Development Director. They work closely with the Property Manager for maintenance support, the Whole Foods Program Manager for coordination of produce planting and harvesting, the Eagle’s Nest Camp Program Manager for coordination of garden related programming and The Outdoor Academy Director for Work Crew coordination.
The Property Assistant portion of this position is secondary to the Garden Manager role and is supervised by the Property Manager. The Property Assistant helps with maintaining the grounds, landscaping and assisting with facility maintenance with direction from the Property Manager. This position coordinates Work Crew projects during The Outdoor Academy school year in coordination with the Director of the Outdoor Academy.
Please see website for full job description, detailed position responsibilities and application.
1. Minimum of High School Diploma or GED with focus in applicable discipline or related field, Bachelor’s degree preferred
2. Prior gardening experience in an educational setting
3. Prior gardening teaching/mentoring experience
4. Ability to operate small gardening equipment safely
5. Experience mowing and edging lawns
6. General facility maintenance experience preferred
1. Must be at least 19 years old
2. Valid driver’s license
3. Clear driving record to operate company vehicles (preferred)
4. Ability to operate equipment safely (tractors, mowers, edgers, etc.)
5. Enjoy working in an active community with children of all ages
6. CPR and First Aid certification (course can be provided by ENF)
7. Background Check post job offer
About Eagle's Nest Foundation and The Outdoor Academy
Eagle's Nest Foundation (ENF) is a non-profit organization that promotes the natural world and the betterment of human character through experiential education programs. Eagle’s Nest is based in the mountains of Western North Carolina. ENF supports three programs: Eagle’s Nest Camp for children ages 6-17, Hante Adventures for teens, and The Outdoor Academy, an academic semester school for 10th grade students seeking a connection to the natural world and to their community.