The Horticulture Technician assists with the protection and enhancement of the native plant communities and landscapes at the Environmental Nature Center, ENC Nature Preschool and Tucker Wildlife Sanctuary. Job responsibilities include implementation of improvements and maintenance activities. Candidate should be knowledgeable about native plants and threats to native habitats including plant pests, pathogens and diseases. Candidate will assist with monitoring and management our plant communities so that they provide healthy habitat for native wildlife and are aesthetically pleasing to our human visitors. This is a hands-on position. The Horticulture Technician spends the majority of the day outside in all weather conditions engaged in physical activity, dividing their time between all three locations. Must be willing and able to commute to both Newport Beach and Silverado, CA. This is a Part-Time position. Pay Range: $16 – $18/hour.
1. Commitment to the mission, vision and core values of the Environmental Nature Center.
2. Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and demonstrate flexibility.
3. Knowledge of California native plants highly desirable.
4. Knowledge of appropriate planting and watering methods required or willingness to learn.
5. Knowledge of native plant maintenance (trimming, dead-heading, etc.) highly desirable.
6. Knowledge of native plant production and transplanting techniques is desirable.
1. Communicate effectively in the English language, in both oral and written forms.
2. Understand and carry out oral and written instructions in an independent manner.
3. Understand and apply pertinent personnel policies, laws, rules, and regulations.
4. Demonstrate an understanding, patient, and receptive attitude toward visitors of varied age groups, including adults in small as well as large group activities.
1. Botanical, nature center, and/or native landscaping experience is preferred.
2. Current CPR and First Aid Certificates are required within two months of employment.
3. Bilingual speaker highly desirable: Spanish, Tagalog, Vietnamese, Mandarin, Cantonese, Korean
About Environmental Nature Center
Founded in 1972, the Environmental Nature Center (ENC) is a world class facility that provides transformative experiences resulting in a deeper connection to nature. The ENC’s mission is to provide quality education through hands-on experience with nature. Our vision is to provide equitable access and inspire all to protect the natural world by serving as our community’s leader in ecological responsibility, sustainable practices and environmental education. The ENC connects over 50,000 community members to nature annually through school field trips, Traveling Naturalist programs, community programs, nature camps, service learning programs, and professional development programs.
The ENC’s 5-acre Newport Beach campus features 15 California native plant communities, wildlife habitat, walking trails, and sustainably designed construction. The ENC’s LEED Platinum certified facilities are nationally recognized and provide an essential connection between nature and the built environment.