The Naturalist is responsible for teaching environmental and social science education programs to children at the Environmental Nature Center and ENC Tucker Wildlife Sanctuary. The Naturalist’s goals are to encourage students’ awareness and appreciation of the environment, broaden students’ knowledge of science concepts, and foster students’ commitment to the protection of the natural environment. The CEC will also staff ENC facilities on weekends as needed. Must be willing and able to commute to both Newport Beach and Silverado, CA. This is a Part-Time position. Pay Range: $16 – $18/hour.
1. Commitment to the mission, vision, and core values of the ENC.
2. Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and demonstrate flexibility.
3. Knowledge of California’s plant and animal life highly desirable.
4. Knowledge of California Native Americans and local indigenous people highly desirable.
5. Ability or willingness to handle animals including birds, amphibians, mammals, arthropods, and reptiles.
6. Ability to memorize and recall facts, figures, and information.
1. Effectively communicate environmental education concepts to students of all ages in both indoor and outdoor settings.
2. Interact successfully with supervisors, teachers, parents, volunteers and students. Demonstrate an understanding, patient, and receptive attitude toward students of all age groups, including adults, in small as well as large groups.
3. Demonstrate an understanding, patient, and receptive attitude toward students of all age groups, including adults, in small as well as large groups.
1. Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university with major course work in science, education, or related field is desired.
2. At least one year of experience as a formal or informal science educator, working with children in an environmental education setting as an interpreter, naturalist, or equivalent. Background strong in thematic, hands-on programs.
3. Excellent verbal communication skills.
4. Ability to utilize computers and technology efficiently.
5. Current CPR and First Aid Certificat
About Environmental Nature Center
Founded in 1972, the Environmental Nature Center (ENC) is a world class facility that provides transformative experiences resulting in a deeper connection to nature. The ENC’s mission is to provide quality education through hands-on experience with nature. Our vision is to provide equitable access and inspire all to protect the natural world by serving as our community’s leader in ecological responsibility, sustainable practices and environmental education. The ENC connects over 50,000 community members to nature annually through school field trips, Traveling Naturalist programs, community programs, nature camps, service learning programs, and professional development programs.
The ENC’s 5-acre Newport Beach campus features 15 California native plant communities, wildlife habitat, walking trails, and sustainably designed construction. The ENC’s LEED Platinum certified facilities are nationally recognized and provide an essential connection between nature and the built environment.