Description of Organization
ETC is a nonprofit, volunteer-based organization that provides outdoor adventure and environmental education experiences for people of all abilities. ETC offers one- to three-day Sea Kayak, Whitewater Rafting, and Cross Country Skiing trips for youth and adults from under-resourced backgrounds and people with disabilities, as well as longer Youth Leadership Programs for under-resourced youth.
The Field Intern is an entry-level position, suitable for anyone with kayaking experience, guiding experience in other outdoor activities, or no paddling/guiding experience at all. Field Interns will work closely with program staff, Trip Leaders, and volunteers to guide one- to five-day sea kayak trips.
Anyone with an interest in kayaking and working with our participant groups,
regardless of experience, is encouraged to apply for this position!
The Field Intern position is a seasonal 3- to 6-month position. The Field Intern will be trained as an adaptive sea kayak guide for trips on San Francisco Bay and Tomales Bay, serving people with disabilities and youth and adults from under-resourced backgrounds. The Field Intern will also design and complete an Intern Project to help improve the Sea Kayak Program.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Develop sea kayaking skills including trip planning, equipment use, paddling strokes, self-rescue, and on-water group management
• Support a team of guides to provide meaningful, educational, fun, and safe outdoor experiences for ETC participants
• Practice leading activities focusing on teambuilding, kayak instruction, environmental education, and human and natural history
• Support with program logistics including equipment maintenance and cleaning/organizing program sites
• With the help of the Program Manager, develop and carry out an Intern Project
Flexible 3-6 month term starting May/June 2023. Preference to applicants who can complete all portions of Guide Training (Apr 1-2, Apr 14-17, May 20-21). The program season runs through November.
Monthly stipend DOE $900-$1200/month
• Age 18 or older
• Enthusiasm for sharing the outdoors with people of all abilities and backgrounds!
• Strong organizational and communication skills, ability to work independently
• CPR and First Aid/WFA/WFR Certified, or willingness to get certified before starting the position. ETC can help connect you to these courses.
• Reliable transportation to Sausalito, CA and Inverness, CA
• Hiring is dependent on a criminal background check
• Experience working with youth or people with disabilities
• Experience with environmental education or leading outdoor trips
• Previous experience with sea kayaking
• Ability to speak Spanish
About Environmental Traveling Companions
ETC is a non-profit, volunteer based organization that provides outdoor adventure and environmental education experiences for people of all abilities. ETC conducts Sea Kayak, Whitewater Rafting, and Cross Country Skiing trips for youth and adults from under-resourced backgrounds and people with disabilities as well as extended Youth Leadership Programs for disadvantaged youth.