The Sea Kayak Field Intern will be trained to be an adaptive sea kayak guide on one- to five-day sea kayak trips on San Francisco Bay and Tomales Bay for people with disabilities and youth and adults from under-resourced backgrounds.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Seek to provide meaningful outdoor experiences for ETC participants
• Work within a team of guides to ensure trips are operated in a safe manner
• Take initiative to facilitate activities focusing on group development, kayak instruction, environmental education, and human and natural history
• Aid with trip logistics including but not limited to food preparation, equipment preparation and maintenance, and cleaning storage facilities and overnight locations
• Occasionally assist with administrative tasks including, but not limited to, trip preparation and follow up, and communication with agencies, participants and volunteers
• With the help of the Program Manager develop and carry out an Intern Project to help improve Sea Kayak Program tripsTraining
• Complimentary participation in ETC’s Sea Kayak Guide School and Inclusion Trainings in May, if available
• Individual training from Sea Kayak Program Manager and Program Associate
• Ongoing skills development throughout employment
Term & Commitment
• Ideally six-month duration between May 1 and October 31. Start and end dates somewhat flexible, with a minimum three-month commitment.
• 12 days per month scheduled at the beginning of each month. Field Interns will be asked to work on weekday and weekend days and on overnight trips. However, we are willing to work with you to accommodate your schedule and availability.
• Sea Kayak Program Manager
• $600 monthly intern stipend
• The ability to check out ETC sea kayak equipment for personal use (subject to ETC boat use policy)
• Access to ETC’s pro purchase programs with various outdoor equipment manufacturers
• Enthusiasm for sharing the outdoors with people of all abilities
• Strong organizational and communication skills
• Experience working with youth or special needs programs preferred
• Experience with environmental education or leading outdoor trips preferred
• CPR and First Aid Certified (WFA or WFR are preferred)
• Previous experience with sea kayaking preferred
• Be able to transport self to Sausalito, CA and Inverness, CA for trips
About Environmental Traveling Companions (ETC)
Environmental Traveling Companions (ETC) is a nonprofit, volunteer-based organization that makes the joy and challenge of outdoor adventures accessible to people with all abilities and under-represented youth, inspiring self-confidence, connection to nature, and community-based environmental stewardship. Since 1972, ETC has served over 105,000 participants in our accessible Sea Kayaking, Whitewater Rafting, Cross Country Skiing and Youth LEAD Programs.