NOLS (National Outdoor Leadership School) is a nonprofit global wilderness school that supports thousands of students each year all over the world. Our school began in a small cabin in Sinks Canyon, Wyoming in 1965 as the National Outdoor Leadership School. At that time, we were primarily an outdoors skills school, doing our work in local mountain ranges and exploring what it meant to teach leadership in the backcountry. Today, we are NOLS, a multifaceted wilderness school headquartered in Lander, Wyoming with locations in seven U.S. states and six countries, that supports thousands of students each year all over the world in both field & classroom courses.
The Custom Education Staffing Coordinator recruits, develops, and hires NOLS faculty to work NOLS Custom Education courses as part of the Field Staffing Office. The coordinator collaborates with the Custom Education and program locations to supervise faculty performance and build effective instructor teams. Custom Education courses expand the reach of the NOLS mission by offering innovative and customized educational experiences. The Field Staffing Office is a dynamic and hard working team environment.
- Previous field and/or supervisory experience in outdoor education. NOLS field experience recommended and instructors with NOLS Custom Education experience preferred.
- Knowledge of NOLS’ schoolwide philosophy and Field Expeditions curriculum.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Able to remain compassionate and solution-oriented in the midst of adversity, perceived difference, and at times, high levels of uncertainty.
- Able to work in a fast-paced team environment as well as independently, where the ability to manage details and prioritize tasks is essential.
- Organized, creative, and flexible.
- Experience with and/or the ability to learn methods of working with spreadsheets, data and tools.
- Manage ongoing hiring of field and classroom faculty to provide effective, qualified instructors for courses. This position will focus on Custom Education expeditions, Risk Management Trainings, Leadership Navigation Challenges, and other Custom Education offerings. Balance emergent needs with longer-term development of individual instructors and NOLS field faculty pool overall.
- Collaborate with other Field Staffing Coordinators to support emergent needs and longer-term development of individual instructors and NOLS field faculty pool overall.
- Communicate with instructors via informal open door policy, phone, e-mail, text, WhatsApp, and forums.
- Develop hiring plans on a different schedule than the seasonal staffing plans, support evaluation of additional courses, communicate regularly with program staff at NOLS locations and Custom Education staff.
- Understand faculty performance by connecting with faculty, Custom Education staff, and program staff at NOLS locations and by reading staff performance evaluations.
- Provide mentoring and coaching to field and classroom faculty regarding performance and career development.
- Track instructor availability, openings, and other relevant data via spreadsheets and other tools. Creative thinking to develop and improve systems is welcome and encouraged.
- Serve in weekend on-call rotation with the Field Staffing Office team.
- Additional duties as assigned.
The above duties should not be considered an exhaustive list; other responsibilities may be required.
Work Location and Compensation
This is a full-time, benefitted position. Housing is not provided. For qualified NOLS instructors, occasional field or classroom course work may be possible.
NOLS can currently employ remote employees who are legal residents of: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Maine, Minnesota, Montana, New Mexico, Pennsylvania, New York, Utah, Washington, or Wyoming. Please note not all locations in all states listed are eligible.
The starting pay range for this position is $38,480 per year, dependent on experience. Other benefits include: 403 B, 403 B contribution after one year, Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Flexible Spending account, Life Insurance, Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance, Long Term Disability, Employee Assistance Program, Paid Time off.
COVID-19 Vaccine Policy
All employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their first day of work, unless they meet a medical, disability or religious exemption and a reasonable accommodation is approved. Any COVID-19 vaccine approved by the World Health Organization (WHO) is an acceptable vaccine for the purpose of this policy. Full vaccination or an approved exemption is a condition of employment for all new employees.
Equal Employment Opportunity
NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
NOLS values community and fosters a sense of belonging for our employees and applicants. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations in the workplace because they embody these values, as well as our operating principle of promoting a positive, safe, and learning environment. Reasonable accommodations may be requested for disability; limitations related to pregnancy, childbirth, or a related medical condition; religion; and domestic violence, sexual assault, stalking, or harassment. Reasonable accommodations may be requested at any point of the employment process, including during recruitment. Please email [email protected] with your request.
- A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
- NOLS participates in E-verify.
- Current NOLS employees please note it is NOLS policy to conduct an internal reference check with human resources and/or your current supervisor as part of the reference check process. If you have any questions or concerns about this process please contact human resources.
How to Apply
Please send your cover letter and resume, and any questions to: Toby Briggs: [email protected].
Closing Date for Applications
Application will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled, with an initial application pool review on August 1, 2022.
September 1, 2022, or two weeks from an offer.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.