NOLS (National Outdoor Leadership School) is a nonprofit global wilderness school that supports thousands of students each year all over the world. Our school began in a small cabin in Sinks Canyon, Wyoming in 1965 as the National Outdoor Leadership School. At that time, we were primarily an outdoors skills school, doing our work in local mountain ranges and exploring what it meant to teach leadership in the backcountry. Today, we are NOLS, a multifaceted wilderness school headquartered in Lander, Wyoming with locations in seven U.S. states and six countries, that supports thousands of students each year all over the world in both field & classroom courses.
In the role of Finance Clerk for NOLS you will primarily be responsible for supporting systems in general ledger, payroll, accounts payable, and accounts receivable. You will assist other accounting functions as needed and provide backup to other functions during leave.
- 2+ years of clerical experience with excellent typing and experience with a 10-key calculator
- Propensity for efficient systems based thinking
- Ability to adapt quickly and balance competing priorities and deadlines
- Technical proficiency; including spreadsheets, database management and accounting software
- Aptness for work both closely in a team/group setting and independently
- Wherewithal to appropriately communicate across diverse stakeholder groups
- Faculty for accurately entering, filing, and reviewing data with the ability to pay close attention to details
- Capability to handle sensitive information and maintain the utmost confidentiality
- Experience with Microsoft, Google, and ADP prefered
- Enter daily deposits monies received into computerized database, make initial determination on posting accounts, transmit and balance credit card payments
- Balance daily bank deposits 260 times a year without error and make sure these are deposited before bank cut-off time
- Data entry of monthly TOI’s, GJE’s, ROA, hotel, outfitting and enrollment entries
- Pull documentation for annual audit
- Assist with physical in office and electronic organization of the files both
- Assist with end of fiscal year transfer of information
- In collaboration with Controller, plan and implement system improvements
- Manage accounts payable (A/P) filing; split A/P checks and mail; cut manual checks; help with payable run data entry
- Assist in payroll process by creating new employee files and file employee paperwork. Manage former employee files moving to permanent storage.
- Process student credit card refunds.; Initial review of Wilderness Medicine refunds, Help with monthly billing, track and file sales invoices.
- Collaborate across departments to ensure basic accounting needs are met
- Maintain office supplies
- Pick up and distribute department mail daily
The above duties should not be considered an exhaustive list; other responsibilities may be required.
This is a full time, benefitted role. The starting wage for this position is $16.00/hour (~$33,280/year based on 2080 hours). Other benefits include: 403(b), 403(b) contribution, Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Flexible Spending account, Life Insurance, Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance, Long Term Disability, Employee Assistance Program, Paid Time off.
NOLS can currently employ remote employees who are legal residents of: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Maine, Minnesota, Montana, New Mexico, New York, Utah, Washington, or Wyoming. Please note not all locations in all states listed are eligible. For specific locations please reach out to the recruiter listed below in the ‘How to Apply’ section. Current employees and residents in the state of Colorado please contact HR for salary information.
COVID-19 Vaccine Policy
All employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their first day of work, unless they meet a medical, disability or religious exemption and a reasonable accommodation is approved. Any COVID-19 vaccine approved by the World Health Organization (WHO) is an acceptable vaccine for the purpose of this policy. Full vaccination or an approved exemption is a condition of employment for all new employees.
Equal Employment Opportunity
NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
NOLS values community and fosters a sense of belonging for our employees and applicants. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations in the workplace because they embody these values, as well as our operating principle of promoting a positive, safe, and learning environment. Reasonable accommodations may be requested for disability; limitations related to pregnancy, childbirth, or a related medical condition; religion; and domestic violence, sexual assault, stalking, or harassment. Reasonable accommodations may be requested at any point of the employment process, including during recruitment. Please email [email protected] with your request.
- A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
- NOLS participates in E-verify.
- Current NOLS employees please note it is NOLS policy to conduct an internal reference check with human resources and/or your current supervisor as part of the reference check process. If you have any questions or concerns about this process please contact human resources.
How to Apply
Please send your PDF cover letter and resume, and any questions to: Sable Weisman at [email protected].
Closing Date for Applications
Open Until Filled
Mid September 2022 – The target start date for this role is two weeks from the time of offer.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.