Basic Duties: Camp Counselors live in bunkhouse cabins with campers and are responsible for the health and well-being of the campers in their care as well as the daily operations within the cabin. Counselors will be expected to lead specialized camp activities and should be comfortable leading and teaching in some of the camp’s program areas listed under “Skills”, as well as participating in or leading special events, evening activities, and meal preparation/clean-up. They must provide leadership and direct supervision of campers while in the cabin, which includes cabin clean up, at meals, and bedtime. Counselors will also participate in backcountry camping trips and should be comfortable in rustic and remote locations.
1. Must be 19 years of age or older by June 13th, 2021.
2. At least one completed year of college is preferred.
3. First Aid/CPR certification required. Wilderness First Aid preferred.
1. Must be able to pass a criminal background check.
2. Ability to live comfortably with a group of campers ages 8-16 in rustic and remote environments.
3. Willingness and stamina to work long hours, including early mornings and late nights.
4. Energy, enthusiasm, and a healthy attitude
1. Each counselor should be proficient in teaching one or more of the following skills independently: horsemanship, riflery, archery, rock climbing, swimming, canoeing, fishing, arts and crafts, blacksmithing, ecology.
2. Previous camp, youth group, after-school, or other youth involvement is preferred.
3. Previous horsemanship and outdoor recreation experience are recommended.
4. Riflery Instructor certification is desired.
5. Lifeguard certification is desired.
Ability to play a musical instrument and lead singing during campfires is desired.
About Green River Outreach for Wilderness (Camp GROW)
The Green River Outreach for Wilderness (GROW) Foundation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization with a primary focus to offer children the opportunity to discover nature, through fun activities so, they might wonder at the endless bounty and balance surrounding them. Our mission is to provide a positive camp experience for children and young adults, thus fostering respect and caring for wilderness through adventure and faith.