Spend your summer mentoring young people, teaching and playing in woods and rivers, and learning and growing as part of an amazing camp community! Gwynn Valley, a summer camp for boys and girls located just outside of Brevard, North Carolina, is seeking a Rock Climbing Instructor for our upcoming season. You’ll work in our “Mountainside” program (for middle-school-aged campers) alongside specialists in mountain biking, backpacking, white water canoeing, and earth skills. As a climbing instructor, you’ll teach beginner-level rock climbing skills and conduct various other activities during the day, supervise a cabin group at night, and go on four multi-day off-site rock climbing trips over the course of the summer. We climb at multiple sites in Western North Carolina such as Looking Glass, Rumbling Bald, and Linville Gorge. Plus, you’ll eat amazing food in our dining hall, make lifelong friends, learn new skills, build connections with outdoor industry professionals, save money (free room and board!) and have a ton of fun!
- At least 6 months of rock climbing experience
- Able to climb routes of at least 5.8 difficulty on top rope
- Experience teaching belay techniques, climbing knots, and rock climbing techniques preferred
- Experience teaching, supervising, and mentoring young people in wilderness settings (especially children ages 12 - 14)
- Passion for working with children, exploring the woods, and rock climbing
About Gwynn Valley Camp
Gwynn Valley is a residential summer camp for boys and girls, located just outside of Brevard, North CarolinaBackpacking Instructor, that offers a farm, wilderness, and traditional program. Our mission is to nurture each child by building character and relationships in a community that fosters personal challenge, a connection to nature, and the simple joys of childhood.