Spend your summer mentoring young people, teaching and playing in woods and rivers, and learning and growing as part of an amazing camp community! Gwynn Valley, a summer camp for boys and girls located just outside of Brevard, North Carolina, is seeking climbing program specialists for our upcoming season. You’ll work in our “Mountainside” program (for middle-school-aged campers) alongside specialists in mountain biking, backpacking, white water canoeing, and earth skills. As a climbing instructor, you’ll teach beginner-level rock climbing skills and conduct various other activities during the day, supervise a cabin group at night, and go on four multi-day off-site rock climbing trips over the course of the summer. We climb at multiple sites in Western North Carolina such as Looking Glass, Rumbling Bald, and Linville Gorge. Plus, you’ll eat amazing food in our dining hall, make lifelong friends, learn new skills, build connections with outdoor industry professionals, save money (free room and board!) and have a ton of fun!
- At least 6 months of rock climbing experience
- Able to climb routes of at least 5.8 difficulty on top rope
- Experience teaching belay techniques, climbing knots, and rock climbing techniques preferred
- Experience teaching, supervising, and mentoring young people in wilderness settings (especially children ages 12 - 14)
- Passion for working with children, exploring the woods, and rock climbing
About Gwynn Valley Camp
Gwynn Valley is a co-ed residential summer camp located just outside of Brevard, North Carolina. We offer a farm, wilderness and traditional program that nurtures each camper while fostering a connection with the land and the simple joys of childhood. Gwynn Valley is a child-centered world where each camper learns and grows under the guidance of a mature and caring staff.