Spend your summer leading climbing trips, managing a climbing program, mentoring young people, and learning and growing as part of an amazing camp community! Gwynn Valley, a summer camp for boys and girls located just outside of Brevard, North Carolina, is seeking a Rock Climbing Director for our upcoming season. As the climbing director, you’ll spend over 40 days (split into 6 one-day trips and 7 multi-day trips) throughout the summer leading rock climbing trips at various sites in western North Carolina (e.g. Looking Glass, Rumbling Bald, Linville Gorge). The multi-day trips involve frontcountry camping with groups of young people, ages 12 – 15. When not on trips, you’ll manage a climbing staff of about seven people and oversee several types of climbing activities at camp (including tower climbing, challenge course, and belayed tree climbing). Plus, you’ll eat amazing food in our dining hall, make lifelong friends, learn new skills, build connections with outdoor industry professionals, save money (free room and board!) and have a ton of fun!
- At least two years of climbing experience
- Able to climb routes of at least 5.10a difficulty on top rope, and trad lead routes of at least 5.8 difficulty
- Experience teaching belay techniques, climbing knots, and rock climbing techniques
- Experience working at a climbing gym, wall, or program preferred
- Experience managing staff preferred
- Due to the high level of responsibility, we prefer applicants who are 21+ and/or are highly mature and organized.
About Gwynn Valley Camp
Gwynn Valley is a residential summer camp for boys and girls, located just outside of Brevard, North CarolinaBackpacking Instructor, that offers a farm, wilderness, and traditional program. Our mission is to nurture each child by building character and relationships in a community that fosters personal challenge, a connection to nature, and the simple joys of childhood.