The High Mountain Institute (HMI) has an anticipated opening for a School Counselor, a half time, 10-month position that supports our students and employees in our Semester and Gap programs. Responsibilities include promoting student and employee wellness; providing ad hoc counseling for individual students and employees; and consulting with administrators, teachers, and parents regarding the needs of our students.
– Consults with and serves as a resource for administrators, teachers, staff, and families regarding the social, emotional, and academic needs of students:
– Counsels with students, regarding personal, emotional, and social needs on an ad hoc basis, and makes referrals for necessary regular outside counseling.
– Promotes and enhances the social-emotional development of all students through helping develop HMI’s wellness and residential life curricula.
– Helps support admissions and enrollment of developmentally-appropriate students for HMI’s programs.
– Maintains professional connections with therapeutic resources in the community.
– Consults on an on-call support for Summer Term director
Position Salary & Benefits:
– Compensation range: $18,000 to $25,000, dependent on experience
– Sick leave
– Wilderness leadership training opportunities
– Annual professional development opportunities
The High Mountain Institute is an equal opportunity employer that strives for diversity by honoring the differences of each member of the community. We seek to build a community (of trustees, faculty, staff, and students) that represents ethnic, socioeconomic, and geographic diversity and that brings a diversity of experience, background, talent, and perspective.
Qualifications: Masters degree in counseling-related field or social work; licensed preferred. Minimum of one year of professional experience. Prior experience in independent school and wilderness settings; knowledge of working with people from diverse backgrounds, especially those from historically-marginalized identities; enthusiasm for working with teenagers in a residential setting; criminal and driving background check required.
About High Mountain Institute
A semester school for high school juniors, the High Mountain Institute (HMI) combines the best of a traditional independent school with outstanding outdoor education. HMI connects students to the natural world and teaches them essential leadership and communication skills through participation in a rigorous, experiential academic program, extended wilderness trips, and an intentional community. HMI also offers a Summer Term for high school students and a variety of adolescent and adult programming. For more information, please visit www.hminet.org.