The Onboard Education Coordinator is a full time live aboard position beginning on April 3rd and
runs through the end of October. Due to COVID-19, Clearwater’s programming schedule will look
different from a traditional year. Clearwater seeks an Onboard Education Coordinator that can be flexible
as we navigate these uncharted waters; and be prepared to jump in and assist with virtual, onboard, and
onland education programming as needed.
Due to the nature of the programs conducted aboard the vessel, which can typically result in
changes in location from day to day, and the risks associated with traveling amidst the ongoing
COVID-19 pandemic, the Onboard Education Coordinator will be expected to live full time aboard the
sloop Clearwater. Room and board are included while living on Clearwater. When available, the
Onboard Educator and the crew will be able to access the Clearwater Office in Beacon, NY to dedicate
time to administrative tasks, which can include coordinating with teachers, the Program Director, the
Outreach and Engagement Manager, or simply continuing expanding their knowledge of the Hudson
River Watershed and the communities within.
The Onboard Education Coordinator reports to the Program Director, and while working/livin
onboard, the Captain. This is a challenging and exciting position outside on the water, teaching and
inspiring the next generation of environmental leaders.
As a member of the crew, the Onboard Education Coordinator is required to pass a
pre-employment drug test and are subject to random drug testing throughout the course of their
● Required to quarantine for two weeks prior to the start date and pass a COVID-19 PCR test 24-72 hours prior to arrival aboard the
vessel, and are subject to random COVID tests throughout the course of their contract;
● Have a degree in education, natural sciences, environment studies, or related subjects
Must have excellent communication skills and be willing and able to speak publicly to
● Strong organizational and time management skills, with an emphasis on attention to detail and the
ability to appropriately balance competing priorities;
● Must be able to lift and carry at least 30 lbs and be willing to work outdoors in all
● Must be willing to live on board a ship that sails primarily on the Hudson River and
thrive in communal living conditions
● Sense of humor, humility, and the ability to maintain perspective in the face of uncertainty;
● Musical experience (singing, playing instruments such as guitar, mandolin, ukulele);
● And maintains a valid U.S. driver’s license;
● Experience promoting content through social media.
About Hudson River Sloop Clearwater
Hudson River Sloop Clearwater, Inc., is a non-profit membership organization that for
over 50 years has been at the forefront of the environmental movement as a champion
of the Hudson River. As an organization, Clearwater inspires lifelong stewardship of the
Hudson and its watershed by connecting people of all ages with the living river. The
organization owns and operates the 106' Sloop Clearwater, recognized as America’s
Environmental Flagship, on the Hudson River and New York Harbor. Clearwater’s
unique approach to public outreach has made the sloop a symbol of grassroots action
through hands-on learning, activism, and celebration.