NOLS (National Outdoor Leadership School) is a nonprofit global wilderness school that supports thousands of students each year all over the world. Our school began in a small cabin in Sinks Canyon, Wyoming in 1965 as the National Outdoor Leadership School. At that time, we were primarily an outdoors skills school, doing our work in local mountain ranges and exploring what it meant to teach leadership in the backcountry. Today, we are NOLS, a multifaceted wilderness school located in Lander, Wyoming, that supports thousands of students each year all over the world in both field & classroom courses.
Some cool things about NOLS:
- Locations in seven U.S. states, and six countries; and courses in all 50 U.S. states and over 10 countries.
- Paid time off starts with 24 days per year
- Good medical benefits & retirement plan choices
- Option for flexible working hours
- Fantastic employee discounts on top outdoor gear brands
- Discounts on NOLS Courses for you and your family
- Free Outdoor Equipment “Rental” at our various locations
The IT Support Services Manager leads a team of highly-collaborative and results-oriented IT Analyst team members tasked with delivering global IT services across the school. The IT Support Services Manager is in charge of scaling, increasing performance, and providing great experience in order to help drive forward business success based on world class infrastructure & operations. The manager is responsible for appropriate staffing, staff management, performance management, and continuous service improvement. This position reports to the IT Director.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Build, scale and manage our Service Desk function to support our needs as a distributed school
- triage and manage priorities of the Service Desk
- manage day-to-day operations for all support functions of the Technology Service Desk and Identity Access Management teams
- ensure all processes used by the service desk are thoroughly documented, consistently audited, and regularly improved
- develop metrics and templates to evaluate technical support issue response times and resolutions
- oversee IT Service design, implementation and governance leveraging ITIL core framework and ITSM software platform
- manage strategies, processes, and systems necessary to support a 24/7 service desk operation supporting all technologies and applications throughout the enterprise
- interact with IT vendors, external suppliers and other contractual partners to coordinate procurement
- Manage User Access
- work with HR to enable smooth onboarding/offboarding of all employees and faculty members, ensuring that all hardware and IT services are available day one
- ensure IT Onboarding/101 sessions are regularly conducted, enabling users to get comfortable working with their new tools
- develop and implement a clear channel of feedback to improve the efficacy of onboarding and to measure user satisfaction
- ensure offboarding process is followed and documented, without exception, and all compliance requirements are met
- Support Team Management
- manage schedule of all employees
- hold regular 1:1’s with all team members
- develop training programs to keep staff updated on new industry technologies and practices
- motivate the team through performance coaching and training objectives
- Customer Service Management
- institute, manage and facilitate a CAB (IT Change Advisory Board) change governance processes
- oversee the monitoring of Service Level Agreements (SLAs) and modify as appropriate
- translate ‘lessons learned’ into continual service improvement
- produce proactive reports, trending analysis, service level reporting, SLA compliance, process consultation and application of ITIL best practice
- implement customer service best practices in the delivery of technical support
- conduct and share results from service and operation performance reviews
- Problem management: iInitiate and monitor actions to investigate patterns and trends to resolve problems
- IT Asset and configuration management: track, log and correct information to protect IT assets and components utilizing JAMF
- Embed an asynchronous, distributed philosophy in everything you do
- 3-5 years of experience managing a team, preferably within an IT Helpdesk or Support Services role
- Ability to build a cohesive Service Desk team and effectively manage, develop, coach and train the team
- Knowledge and understanding of best practices for service management
- Strong knowledge of ITIL methodology
- Experience managing a geographically distributed team
- Experience with ITSM platforms, JIRA Service Management and Confluence knowledge management experience preferred
- A thorough understanding of the strategic vision for the service desk and the ability to set the long-term direction of the team
- Ability to balance and plan the short-term and long-term actions of the team
We are excited to speak to someone with the following…
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- 3+ years of experience as a Service Desk Manager or in a technical support management role
- 5+ years of professional IT experience
- Experience recruiting, training, and managing a support team
- Experience in mission critical service delivery
- Experience maturing an IT support organization using ITIL methodologies
This position has a strong preference for a candidate to be at the NOLS Headquarters in Lander, WY. If a remote option is offered you must be a legal resident of: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Maine, Minnesota, Montana, New York, Utah, Washington, or Wyoming. Current employees and residents in the state of Colorado please contact HR for salary information.
Lander is a small mountain town in the foothills of Wyoming’s Wind River Range on territory traditionally used by indigenous people, including the Northern Arapaho, Eastern Shoshone, Cheyenne, Bannock, and Crow. Lander offers immediate access to public lands for climbing, cycling, fishing, hiking, hunting, skiing, and more. You will be surrounded by people passionate about playing in the outdoors.
COVID-19 Vaccine Policy
All employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their first day of work, unless they meet a medical, disability or religious exemption and a reasonable accommodation is approved. Any COVID-19 vaccine approved by the World Health Organization (WHO) is an acceptable vaccine for the purpose of this policy. Full vaccination or an approved exemption is a condition of employment for all new employees.
Equal Employment Opportunity
NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
NOLS values community and fosters a sense of belonging for our employees and applicants. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations in the workplace because they embody these values, as well as our operating principle of promoting a positive, safe, and learning environment. Reasonable accommodations may be requested for disability; limitations related to pregnancy, childbirth, or a related medical condition; religion; and domestic violence, sexual assault, stalking, or harassment. Reasonable accommodations may be requested at any point of the employment process, including during recruitment. Please email [email protected] with your request.
- A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
- NOLS participates in E-verify.
- Current NOLS employees please note it is NOLS policy to conduct an internal reference check with human resources and/or your current supervisor as part of the reference check process. If you have any questions or concerns about this process please contact human resources.
How to Apply
Please click here to apply.
Closing Date for Applications
Open Until Filled
The target start date for this role is two weeks from the time of offer.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.