Program Overview and Job Summary
KSS hosts a collaborative partnership with the Summit School District and supports the outdoor and experiential education program embedded within the traditional school day at Silverthorne Elementary School. The Outdoor Education Assistant Instructor and After School Lead Instructor position is a full time Keystone Science School position based out of the Silverthorne Elementary School.
After School and Summer CATCH:
The KSS After School Program is held at the local Summit School District elementary schools. Each elementary school is assigned a Lead Instructor to lead the program with two Program Instructors. The program focuses on promoting physical activity, fun games, intentional learning, and a healthy snack to students in grades Kindergarten through 5th grade. The program is grant-funded through partnerships with community organizations.
The After School Lead Instructor is responsible for facilitating engaging activities with children, completing administrative tasks, and developing and implementing the after school curriculum. Administrative tasks include: prepping and facilitating daily snacks, planning objective focused activities and games, conducting parent and student surveys and assessments, communicating with parents and families, tracking class attendance, and managing all licensing rules and regulations for the site.
The Summer CATCH program is a summer camp program based out of the Silverthorne Elementary school for local Summit School District students.
Main areas of focus when working the after school programs:
● 70% Program Facilitation
● 15% Curriculum Development
● 15% Administrative Tasks
Silverthorne Elementary Outdoor Education Teaching Assistant:
● Support the planning of Outdoor Education activities throughout the school day;
● Facilitate outdoor education activities throughout the school day;
● Support the management of program logistics.
Main areas of focus when working with the Silverthorne Elementary Outdoor Education Program:
● 70% Teaching;
● 15% Lesson planning and curriculum development;
● 10% Field trip coordination;
● 5% KSS & Park County School District debriefs, planning meetings and discussions;
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
● Emphasis on daily program facilitation of the after school curriculum;
● Plan and manage daily program curriculum and assigned administrative duties;
● Work collaboratively and professionally with a varied group of colleagues to supervise a diverse group of up to 30 elementary age participants;
● Prepare and serve snacks using safe food handling procedures;
● Interact with program participants and families with a high level of energy and enthusiasm;
● Communicate clearly and effectively to express concerns and needs to Programs Manager;
● Supervise and maintain high standards of health and safety, and follow Risk Management policies in all activities;
Required Education, Experience, and Certifications
● 4 year college degree with a major in education and/or a related science field;
● Minimum of 6 months of experience teaching students in an outdoor setting;
● Current Wilderness First Aid (WFA) and CPR certifications, or the ability to obtain before the first day of employment;
● Age 21+ with a minimum of 5 years driving experience, excellent driving record, and a valid driver's license;
● Pass a background check.
About Keystone Science School
At Keystone Science School, we believe that the power of inspiring curiosity and critical thinking, through the lens of science, changes lives and strengthens communities. We create future leaders who can problem solve and work together in an ever-evolving world and workplace environment.
Located in the Colorado Rocky Mountains, Keystone Science School’s historic campus serves as base camp for our diverse suite of inquiry-based learning programs. We combine hands-on science education with outdoor adventure to create engaging experiences for our students. At KSS, we change lives, we bring fun and laughter to everything we do, we care about each other and those we serve, we strive for excellence, we offer competitive compensation and generous benefits, and we are committed to serving students from diverse backgrounds. We’re proud to be Summit County’s #1 Best Non-Profit and #2 Best Place to Work (2019)! Visit KeystoneScienceSchool.org to learn more!