Program Overview and Job Summary
KSS hosts a collaborative partnership with the Park County School District and offers an outdoor and experiential education program embedded within the traditional school day at Edith Teter Elementary, South Park Middle School, and South Park High School. The Outdoor Education Faculty position is a full time Keystone Science School teaching position based out of the Park County School District with the expectation that the position is following the school district schedule in regards to time-off, teacher work days, and COVID classroom/online teaching.
Throughout the school day there are individual sections of KSS programming which include hands-on science activities, field-based exploration, and adventure programming. Curriculum themes may include but are not limited to: environmental science (aquatic ecology, forest ecology, earth science, snow studies, winter ecology, weather and climate), leadership, social emotional learning, community building, STEM, outdoor skills, and health. The Outdoor Education Faculty will develop and facilitate the curriculum for students in Kindergarten through 12th grade. Strong collaboration is encouraged between the KSS faculty member, school administration, and grade level teachers to build a syllabus that is cross-curricular and meets the social and emotional needs of the local Park County students.
The Outdoor Education Faculty will be asked to coordinate all off-site field trips on a weekly basis, as well as any overnight trips. This includes managing all parent communication and management of student paperwork in collaboration with the Keystone Science School customer experience team, and general logistics management.
Main areas of focus:
● 75% Teaching;
● 15% Lesson planning and curriculum development;
● 5% Field trip coordination;
● 5% KSS & Park County School District debriefs, planning meetings and discussions;
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
● Plan, prepare, and teach grade appropriate outdoor and experiential education curricula according to the learning model defined by the Park County School District;
● Supervise and maintain high standards of health and safety, and follow KSS Risk Management and Park School District protocols and policies in all activities;
● Coordinate all aspects of field trip/overnight trips including paperwork, parent communication, and all logistics;
● Uphold guidance from Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment around COVID-19 standards;
● Maintain all KSS equipment, including teaching materials, gear, keys, toys, etc.;
● Attend and be an active participant in all Park County teacher meetings and trainings;
● Attend and be an active participant in pre-designated KSS training and professional development;
● Other duties as assigned.
● 4 year college degree with a major in education and/or a related science field;
● Minimum of 6 months of experience teaching students in an outdoor setting;
● Current Wilderness First Responder (WFR) and CPR certifications, from an approved vendor, or the ability to obtain before the first day of employment;
● Age 21+ with a minimum of 5 years driving experience, excellent driving record, and a valid driver's license;
● Must be able to successfully pass a comprehensive background check.
About Keystone Science School
At Keystone Science School, we believe that the power of inspiring curiosity and critical thinking, through the lens of science, changes lives and strengthens communities. We create future leaders who can problem solve and work together in an ever-evolving world and workplace environment.
Located in the Colorado Rocky Mountains, Keystone Science School’s historic campus serves as base camp for our diverse suite of inquiry-based learning programs. We combine hands-on science education with outdoor adventure to create engaging experiences for our students. At KSS, we change lives, we bring fun and laughter to everything we do, we care about each other and those we serve, we strive for excellence, we offer competitive compensation and generous benefits, and we are committed to serving students from diverse backgrounds. We’re proud to be Summit County’s #1 Best Non-Profit and #2 Best Place to Work (2019)! Visit KeystoneScienceSchool.org to learn more!