Department: Education Programs
Employment Class: Seasonal Part-time, Exempt
Dates of Employment: August 16, 2021 – late October 2021 (with potential for extension)
Expected Schedule: 5 days per week
Reports To: Programs Manager
Number of Positions Available: 8
Housing Available: Yes (staff are not required to live on campus)
Compensation: Base Rate: $110 per day – Bilingual Spanish Base Rate: $122 per day
Program Overview and Job Summary
KSS offers a range of programs that balance hands-on science activities, field-based exploration, and adventure programming. Curriculum themes include but are not limited to: environmental science (aquatic ecology, forest ecology, earth science, snow studies, winter ecology, weather and climate), leadership, community building, STEM, outdoor skills, and health. In Fall 2021, KSS will offer residential and day field trips for visiting and local school groups, after school programming, and retreats. Programs are 1-7 days in length (generally 3 days), and may be held on-campus, at an off-site facility, or at a camping-based location.
The Program Instructor is a seasonal position responsible for teaching the wide variety of curricula options offered by KSS. Program Instuctors will lead groups of up to 13 students in outdoor education programs. Program Instructors are responsible for lesson planning and organizing curriculum for each program. They are also responsible for the facilitation of meals, evening programs, and the completion of manual labor tasks on a rotating basis. Program Instructors will also take turns being “Lead Instructors” for each program. Additionally, it is the responsibility of Program Instructors to facilitate programs within the other areas of KSS including but not limited to: CATCH After School Programs, facility rental programs, and local community programs. Program Instructors will be expected to adhere to dynamic health guidance and policy set forth by KSS while working with children during a global pandemic, which may include living with other Instructors in a communal living environment.
Main areas of focus:
• 60% Teaching (includes Lead Instructor duties)
• 15% Lesson planning and curriculum organization
• 25% Support staff duties (e.g. facilitation of meals, evening programs, and completion of manual labor tasks)
• Bachelor's or Associate's degree
• Minimum of 6 months of experience teaching students in an outdoor or classroom setting
• Current Wilderness First Aid (WFA) and CPR certifications, from an approved vendor, or the ability to obtain before the first day of employment
• Age 21+ with a minimum of 5 years driving experience, excellent driving record, and a valid driver's license
• Must be able to successfully pass a comprehensive background check
• Ability to work a flexible schedule, including days, nights, and weekends
• Have an interest in, respect for, and ability to work with children
• Have an interest in, respect for, and ability to work with people with diverse backgrounds
• Ability to create an inclusive learning environment for students from a wide range of backgrounds
• Proven ability to creatively develop science and education curricula and lesson plans
About Keystone Science School
At Keystone Science School, we believe that the power of inspiring curiosity and critical thinking, through the lens of science, changes lives and strengthens communities. We create future leaders who can problem solve and work together in an ever-evolving world and workplace environment.
Located in the Colorado Rocky Mountains, Keystone Science School’s historic campus serves as base camp for our diverse suite of inquiry-based learning programs. We combine hands-on science education with outdoor adventure to create engaging experiences for our students. At KSS, we change lives, we bring fun and laughter to everything we do, we care about each other and those we serve, we strive for excellence, we offer competitive compensation and generous benefits, and we are committed to serving students from diverse backgrounds. We’re proud to be Summit County’s #1 Best Non-Profit and #2 Best Place to Work (2019)! Visit KeystoneScienceSchool.org to learn more!