Are you looking for an amazing way to spend your summer?
Do you love being outside and connecting with nature?
Do you love managing a team of people in fast paced environment with fun at every turn?
Are you ready to make a difference in the world?
Then check out Living Earth School of Virginia . “Connect with Nature and Journey into the Heart”
Get back to your roots and learn the philosophy of living close to nature, wilderness survival, and nurture your connection to the earth. We will explore the surrounding forests, swim in mountain streams, as we discover more about the magical world of nature through building natural shelters, making fires without matches, and preparing wild plants for food. Campers gain self-esteem, work cooperatively and make new friends, as they gain confidence in both living and feeling at home in the natural world. This is a camp where campers are truly looked after and cared about. It is a safe place where kids can try new things and discover more about who they are.
Salary for Coordinator: $800 starting, commensurate with experience.
Despite the difficulties of the times, we successfully ran camps in 2020 as well as year-round programming. We feel we have found a rhythm with our COVID policies which allow the kids to still be kids, outside & together.
The Day Camp Coordinator facilitates the smooth flow of camp, holding a birds’ eye view as well as remaining present and engaged with campers and staff. The DC Coordinator creates and updates schedules weekly, communicates smoothly with other Admins and is responsible for making decisions that uplift the overall well-being of camp participants and staff.
• Bachelor’s Degree or an equivalent amount of training and/or work experience
• Current CPR/First Aid/AED certification (Wilderness First Aid or beyond is preferred)
• Experience and passion for working with children
• Experience managing a team
• Naturalist and survival skills
• 21 years or older
• Naturalist and Survivalist: Experiential knowledge of a majority of the following areas in Southern Appalachia: Southern Appalachian hazards, wildlife tracking, edible and medicinal plants, ecology, plants and animals, survival living skills, wildcrafting
• Compelling Mentor: Inspires through genuine enthusiasm
• Professional: Dependable, punctual, clean and tidy appearance, respectful demeanor
• Team-Player: Committed to collaboration
• Independent Self-Starter: Sees the needs and fills them
About Living Earth School
Living Earth School offers award winning co-ed day camp and overnight camps for ages 5-18 years old. We are looking for Interns, Instructors, Coordinator and Camp Nurse.
We aim to teach a holistic balance of skills to help the students understand their place in the natural world, their role in the community, and finally a better awareness of their passions and vision for life. We use coyote mentoring in our nature-based approach to help people connect with their place and to deepen their relationships. Our curriculum is nature based, developing naturalist skills, survival skills, animal tracking, edible/medicinal plants, and understanding the language of birds. We ask lots of questions because it nurtures self-sufficiency and curiosity. We utilize core routines that help students more fully immerse in nature, with all their senses. The benefits to the student are the excitement of discovery, a real connection with animals and plants, and a sense of belonging.