Are you looking for an amazing way to spend your summer?
Do you love being outside and connecting with nature?
Do you love playing and having fun with kids?
Are you ready to make a difference in the world?
Then check out Living Earth School of Virginia . “Connect with Nature and Journey into the Heart”
Get back to your roots and learn the philosophy of living close to nature, wilderness survival, and nurture your connection to the earth. We will explore the surrounding forests, swim in mountain streams, as we discover more about the magical world of nature through building natural shelters, making fires without matches, and preparing wild plants for food. Campers gain self-esteem, work cooperatively and make new friends, as they gain confidence in both living and feeling at home in the natural world. This is a camp where campers are truly looked after and cared about. It is a safe place where kids can try new things and discover more about who they are.
We are looking for: Interns, Instructors, Coordinator, and Camp Nurse
Salary for Interns/Instructors: $325-525, all others commensurate with experience.
• Participates in daily staff meetings, debriefs and seasonal trainings
• Shepherds students through the day by initiating games, checking in with quiet students and watching out for campers’ physical, social and emotional well-being
• Knows where campers are at all times
• Arrives prepared for and leads sections of camp as determined by the teaching team
• Plans 100%, thinking through gear, tasks, stories, rain plan, explanations. Has the flexibility to deviate from the plan for what best serves the kids
• Knows how to be prepared to take care of themselves and others in all weather conditions
• Brings a friendly and positive attitude to camp
• Disciplined enough to set boundaries, care for self, and at the same time be willing to work long hours, give their best effort and fulfill commitments
• Participates in campwide cleanup at the end of each week
• Looks out for fellow staff and offers support when they can
• Brings skills and passion to camp, sharing their bright light with others
• Bachelor’s Degree or an equivalent amount of training and/or work experience
• Current CPR/First Aid/AED certification (Wilderness First Aid preferred)
• Experience and passion for working with children
• Naturalist and survival skills
• 18 years or older
• Naturalist and Survivalist: Experiential knowledge of a majority of the following areas in Southern Appalachia: Southern Appalachian hazards, wildlife tracking, edible and medicinal plants, ecology, plants and animals, survival living skills, wildcrafting
• Compelling Mentor: Inspires through genuine enthusiasm
• Professional: Dependable, punctual, clean and tidy appearance, respectful demeanor
• Team-Player: Committed to collaboration
• Independent Self-Starter: Sees the needs and fills them
About Living Earth School
Living Earth School offers award winning co-ed day camp and overnight camps for ages 5-18 years old. We are looking for Interns, Instructors, Coordinator and Camp Nurse.
We aim to teach a holistic balance of skills to help the students understand their place in the natural world, their role in the community, and finally a better awareness of their passions and vision for life. We use coyote mentoring in our nature-based approach to help people connect with their place and to deepen their relationships. Our curriculum is nature based, developing naturalist skills, survival skills, animal tracking, edible/medicinal plants, and understanding the language of birds. We ask lots of questions because it nurtures self-sufficiency and curiosity. We utilize core routines that help students more fully immerse in nature, with all their senses. The benefits to the student are the excitement of discovery, a real connection with animals and plants, and a sense of belonging.