The Excursions Supervisor (Supervisor) leads the creation of a safe, healthy, and fun outdoor adventure programming for middle- and high-school students from NYC, working to sequentially tailor excursions by age, maturity, and ability. Backpacking and canoeing outings may range from 1-3 days on MEC property and neighboring state lands. The Supervisor will:
• Review existing trip itineraries, update risk management planning, scout trails and rivers for changes in conditions, renew and attain required land-use permits, and develop new trips as needed.
• Continue to foster and maintain strong working relationships with land-owners and partners who contribute to the success of our excursions
• Review and continue to improve the existing training program to effectively prepare a range of first-year to seasoned outdoor leaders
• Provide positive mentorship and lead a feedback-oriented culture that focuses on growth, support, and goal accountability for outdoor leaders
• Provide ongoing support for excursions and MEC activities by being on-call for emergencies and trip support, supervise camp in the absence of the Director/Assistant Director, and help to manage the infirmary
• Supervise the equipment room alongside four Teaching Assistants (TAs) who are high school students who previously participated in Christodora programs
• Mentor the growth of TAs in their backcountry and teaching skills/knowledge
• Transport students to and from excursions and occasionally assist with participants traveling to and from NYC
• Provide regular updates to the MEC Director/Assistant Director about the status and needs of the excursions and provide administrative support for MEC programs
Join Our Team: June 6-August 28 (12 weeks)
See full job post with covid19 update on company website.
About Manice Education Center
Christodora, a 124-year-old nonprofit, nonsectarian organization, based in NYC, seeks a seasoned outdoor leader to work as the Excursions Supervisor at its Manice Education Center (MEC) located in the heart of the Berkshire Mountains of Western Massachusetts on a 200-acre wooded campus. This is an exciting opportunity to oversee overnight outings to open the eyes of NYC youth to the adventures of backpacking and canoeing – oftentimes for the first time. Enjoy living and working in a phenomenal setting for nature enthusiasts and outdoor adventurers in a forested playground, sandwiched between multiple state forests, rivers, and ponds. In summer, MEC offers a full season of expedition and environmental education camps for NYC youth in grades 6-12 with approximately 40 campers at each of the typically five sessions: exploratory, foundational, advanced, high school leadership training course, and BRIDGE.
See full job posting with covid19 update on company website.