The Excursions Program Supervisor (Supervisor) leads the creation of a safe, healthy, and fun outdoor adventure programming for middle- and high-school students from NYC, working to sequentially tailor excursions by age, maturity, and ability. Backpacking and canoeing outings may range from 1-3 days on MEC property and neighboring state lands. The Supervisor will:
• Review existing trip itineraries, update risk management planning, scout trails and rivers for changes in conditions, renew and attain required land-use permits, and develop new trips as needed.
• Continue to foster and maintain strong working relationships with land-owners and partners who contribute to the success of our excursions
• Review and continue to improve the existing training program to effectively prepare a range of first-year to seasoned outdoor leaders
• Provide positive mentorship and lead a feedback-oriented culture that focuses on growth, support, and goal accountability for outdoor leaders
• Provide ongoing support for excursions and MEC activities by being on-call for emergencies and trip support, supervise camp in the absence of the Director/Assistant Director, and help to manage the infirmary
• Supervise the equipment room alongside four Teaching Assistants (TAs) who are high school students who previously participated in Christodora programs
• Mentor the growth of TAs in their backcountry and teaching skills/knowledge
• Transport students to and from excursions and occasionally assist with participants traveling to and from NYC
• Provide regular updates to the MEC Director/Assistant Director about the status and needs of the excursions and provide administrative support for MEC programs
See full job post with covid19 update on company website.
About Manice Education Center
Christodora, a 124-year-old nonprofit, nonsectarian organization, based in NYC, seeks a seasoned outdoor leader to work as the Excursions Program Supervisor at its Manice Education Center (MEC) located in the heart of the Berkshire Mountains of Western Massachusetts on a 200-acre wooded campus. This is an exciting opportunity to oversee overnight outings to open the eyes of NYC youth to the adventures of backpacking and canoeing – oftentimes for the first time. Enjoy living and working in a phenomenal setting for nature enthusiasts and outdoor adventurers in a forested playground, sandwiched between multiple state forests, rivers, and ponds. In summer, MEC offers a full season of expedition and environmental education camps for NYC youth in grades 6-12 with approximately 40 campers at each of the typically five sessions: exploratory, foundational, advanced, high school leadership training course, and BRIDGE.
See full job posting with covid19 update on company website.