What We Do Every Day:
• Serve on projects that have a positive, lasting impact on the environment throughout 23 Colorado counties (transportation is provided)
• Form affinity crews to bring underrepresented identities to the forefront of Natural Resources careers. These crews include a Black, Indigenous, People Of Color Affinity Crew and a Gender Spectrum Affinity Crew.
• Form close-knit crews of 9 young adults (18 – 24 years old) who share a passion for service.
• Participate in four hours per week of educational activities on environmental stewardship, civic engagement, healthy living, leadership & career development, and social justice.
Summary of Compensation and Benefits:
• Biweekly Stipend – Earn a living stipend of $840.00 before taxes paid every 2 weeks. Total program stipend is $5,040 for 12-week program or $5,880 for 14-week program.
o Leadership Opportunities available: Corpsmember Drivers are eligible for a living stipend of $860.00. Returning Corpsmembers earn $880.00. Corpsmembers in Assistant Crew Leader roles earn $920.00. More information available on request.
• AmeriCorps Education Award – Earn a scholarship of $1,638.89 upon successful completion of the term (450 hours of service). This award can be used to pay tuition, pay back qualifying student loans or go on an expedition through a wilderness school! Corpsmembers have 7 years to use the award.
• Student Loan Forbearance – Corpsmembers can apply to put their qualified federal student loans on hold during their term through the National Service Trust.
• Health Insurance – Corpsmembers are eligible for health insurance the 1st of the month after serving at MHYC for 60 days. Corpsmember contribution required.
• Counseling – Corpsmembers receive up to 5 free mental health counseling sessions per year.
• Networking – Corpsmembers have daily opportunities to network with federal, state and local natural resources professionals and access to a vast alumni network!
This is a temporary position from May 10–August 13, 2021 or May 24-August 13, 2021.
• 450 hours of service in a 12 or 14 week commitment.
• Some positions involve overnight camping (known as hitches).
• 40 hour weeks: Monday-Thursday, 7:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. or 7:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
• All Corpsmembers are additionally required to serve:
o Friday, June 4 from 7:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. or 7:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. due to holiday observed on Memorial Day (May 31)
o Friday, June 25, July 16 and August 13 from 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. for in-house programming, including career readiness training, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion training and Community Meetings.
Corpmembers have the choice to serve on a variety of technical crews. MHYC staff will work with you to find the best match!
• Between the ages of 18-24.
• High school or GED/HSE graduate or still enrolled.
• Must be eligible for enrollment in AmeriCorps as a US Citizen, National or Lawful Permanent Resident. Documentation will be required on the first day. Must bring identification documents necessary to complete the I-9 and other forms on your first day.
• Must be physically fit, able to lift 50 lbs., spend 8-10 hours a day in all weather conditions (e.g., sun, heat, wind, rain, etc.) and hike 7 miles with a day-pack.
• Able to be on time and maintain consistent attendance throughout term of service. Must commit to complete the program
About Mile High Youth Corps
Mile High Youth Corps helps youth make a difference in themselves and in their communities through meaningful service opportunities and educational experiences.