NCOAE is seeking a Course Director for the 2022 season, to oversee primarily Southeast US based courses and manage trip logistics, and as well as work in the field a Lead Field Instructor as needed, assuring the safety of trip participants while facilitating multi-day adventure education courses in the field.
Must be able to manage risks and assure effective courses, while serving as an educator and role model. Must be able to also teach and facilitate NCOAE’s curriculum to teens, and adults, complete documentation accurately and in a timely fashion and lead in pre-trip and post-trip meetings. Additional duties include: facilitating meaningful group experiences and setting an emotionally and physically safe, fun and engaging tone for students to follow.
Major Job Responsibilities & Duties:
• Oversee courses, custom programs and trainings throughout the planning, implementation, in-field, wrap-up and evaluation phases.
• Serve as a primary link between: a) NCOAE and instructors prior to and during the time they are in the field, and b) outside agencies and third-party vendors wherever assigned courses, programs and trainings are run.
• Assist with instructor training, mentoring and evaluation.
• Supervise and evaluate all staff working on assigned courses, programs and trainings.
• Assist with the identification and exploration of new locations for courses, custom programs and trainings, as well as with the development and implementation of local operating procedures and plans.
• Lead pre-trip meetings & assisting field instructors as needed with pack outs.
• Lead post trip debriefs and assist with gear de-issues.
• Communicate in a clear, effective, and timely manner to the Program Director, interns, instructors and other staff.
• Consistently strive to share & receive feedback from co-workers & supervisors.
• Organize and schedule routine vehicle maintenance, including weekly checks, oil changes, tire rotations, & safety inspections.
• Maintain organization and conduct routine cleaning of equipment and food storage areas.
• Prepare and submit a variety of paperwork, including vehicle logs, inventories, and other reports as requested.
• Provide transportation of gear, field staff, and/or participants, including to and from the field.
• Be on call during assigned courses and respond to field emergencies as needed, including providing emergency transportation, supply delivery, or field supervision.
• Maintain the physical and emotional safety of students, serving as a role model and managing behaviors in a positive manner.
• Contribute to maintaining safe, fun and engaging courses, supporting the instructor team as necessary.
• Assume lead instructor role and responsibilities for assigned courses, programs and/or trainings.
• Participate in mandatory NCOAE-related trainings and meetings.
• Commit to own professional development, including technical & interpersonal skills.
• Other duties as assigned.
• 2+ years of experience working with wilderness programs, outdoor education, outdoor recreation, residential summer camps, or related field
• Current Wilderness First Responder certification, or willingness to obtain
• Competency in risk management skills
• Prior experience working in a supervisory role
• Maintain a valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record.
• Prior to hiring: Satisfactory completion of an NCOAE instructor course
•At least 1 year prior experience in supervisory position.
•Bachelor’s degree (or working towards) in Outdoor Education, Outdoor Recreation, or related field preferred
•Knowledge and passion for NCOAE programs, curriculum and operating philosophy.
About National Center for Outdoor & Adventure Education
From North Carolina to Alaska to the high Andes to Patagonia, NCOAE is the values-based outdoor and adventure education provider for teens and adults interested in personal growth and professional development. NCOAE develops and facilitates professionally guided outdoor experiences to foster an engaged educational community, through personal growth and the acquisition of technical and academic skills.