To train, supervise, and support the managers and staff overseeing the rations and kitchen, facilities, transportation, and equipment departments of NOLS New Zealand. Work closely with the New Zealand director and assistant director in long-term planning and oversight for NOLS New Zealand.
- Applicants need to hold the legal right to work in New Zealand to be considered for this position.
- Familiarity with and ability to support the NOLS mission and operations, and a commitment to serve our students.
- A positive attitude, calm demeanour, and high degree of motivation, initiative, and organisational skills are required.
- Previous management and/or supervision experience, and the ability to improve, innovate, and implement systems.
- Practical experience in managing a budget.
- Knowledge of or willingness to learn about logistics and operational details of NOLS New Zealand course operating areas.
- Able to work independently and with a variety of people on a team, and communicate clearly and effectively both orally and in writing.
- Must be able to work flexible and at times irregular hours, including some weekends and public holidays.
- Experience with or willingness to learn Excel and the Google suite.
- Class 1 driver’s licence with excellent driving record required. Must undertake and meet NOLS driver training requirements. Passenger endorsement and/or New Zealand Class 2 licence viewed favourably.
- A background in outdoor education, guiding, or instructing is beneficial.
Leadership or Supervisory Duties
As a member of the NOLS New Zealand leadership team (along with director and assistant director) expect to receive and give timely feedback with team members regarding performance.
The Operations Manager will supervise up to five staff to ensure equipment, food, transportation and facilities are functioning efficiently and effectively.
Funds and/or Property
Responsible for managing and accounting for the equipment, merchandise, facilities, rations, kitchen, and vehicle maintenance budgets totalling approximately $300,000 expenses and $100,000 revenue annually. Responsible for accurately tracking expenses and receipts, including a NOLS-issued EFTPOS card.
- Provide effective supervision (clear expectations, comprehensive training, periodic individual check-ins, and growth-oriented evaluations) to ensure all operations departments operate optimally and provide an exceptional student and staff experience while at NOLS New Zealand.
- Assist NOLS New Zealand director to plan operations departmental budgets.
- Implement all operations department budgets, including rations, kitchen, facilities, transportation, and equipment.
- Plan and oversee select long-term and short term asset projects.
- Build operations calendar and schedules for all operation departments.
- Collaborate with the program department to ensure exceptional student and staff experiences.
- With the equipment manager, monitor equipment inventory requirements, the selection and ordering of equipment, and provide long-range planning.
- With kitchen/rations manager, oversee rations and food service provision.
- Along with facilities and transportation managers, plan and execute the maintenance, acquisition, cleanliness, and safety of the campus, vehicles, equipment, and supplies.
- Along with facilities manager, coordinate and oversee all scheduled maintenance and upkeep on campus.
- Provide technical advice, equipment selection input, and planning assistance to other NOLS locations seasonally when possible.
- Manage NOLS New Zealand’s local social media communications in conjunction with NOLS HQ.
- Be an active member of NOLS New Zealand’s emergency and evacuation support team, including sharing the monitoring of our emergency phone.
- Facilitate challenging situations including student behavioural issues, injuries/illnesses, and staff performance concerns.
- Actively contribute to a positive and healthy community living environment while striving to maintain balance between work and life. Must role model excellent in-town expedition behaviour.
- Help NOLS foster a strong local presence in New Zealand.
Equal Employment Opportunity
NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
Criminal Background Check:
A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
Motor Vehicle Record:
Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s licence. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
NOLS New Zealand
4 Serpentine River Road, Aniseed Valley, Richmond
How to Apply:
Send Cover Letter and Resume to Christian Martin, New Zealand Program Director
Email: [email protected]
Phone: (03) 544 6657
Contact Christian Martin with questions.
Closing Date For Applications: 10 June 2022
Starting Date: Late-July 2022
This position is a nine-month fixed term position starting late-July 2022 and finishing late-April 2023. Over the duration of the contract weekly hours will vary but will average 38 hours per week, exclusive of 3 weeks off over the Christmas/New Year period. Basic housing with communal facilities may be available on-site at subsidised rates.
Hourly rate for this position will depend on experience and starts from NZ$28.00 per hour.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.