Maintain and operate a vehicle fleet that transports instructors and students to various locations in the South Island in a safe and enjoyable manner. Work with operations staff to ensure all scheduling needs are met and an excellent student service is provided.
- Applicants need to hold the legal right to work in New Zealand to be considered for this position.
- Familiarity with and ability to support the NOLS mission and operations, and a commitment to serve our students.
- Excellent communication skills, a high level of initiative, and a strong work ethic.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently without direct supervision.
- Strong organisational skills.
- Must be able to work flexible and at times irregular hours, including some weekends and public holidays.
- Must have Class 2 and Passenger Endorsement. Must undertake and meet NOLS driver training requirements.
- Sound knowledge of the New Zealand Road Code. Previous experience driving buses, both automatic and manual, on sealed and unsealed roads.
Leadership or Supervisory Duties
Responsible for tracking maintenance of the NOLS vehicle fleet. Responsible for conducting Defensive Driving practical skills assessment for other staff. Manage driver schedule in conjunction with operations manager.
Funds and/or Property
Responsible for maintenance of eight vehicles and five trailers. Manage the vehicle maintenance budget of about $13,000.
- Maintain the vehicle fleet to excellent safety standards, including the keeping maintenance records, vehicle checks, and manuals of all equipment.
- Adhere to all maintenance and registration requirements as set out by New Zealand law and NOLS Transportation Policy.
- Drive students, instructors, and re-rations.
- Work closely with local automotive shops to ensure vehicles are serviced and repaired to a high standard.
- Coach NOLS staff in vehicle operation and maintenance, including but not limited to introduction to driving in New Zealand and the loading of trailers.
- Provide Defensive Driving training and assessment for other New Zealand staff.
- Assist with tasks in other departments to ensure excellent student services.
- Supervise students as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the operations manager or director.
- Purchase and sell vehicles as required.
- Actively contribute to a positive and healthy community living environment while striving to maintain balance between work and life. Must role model excellent in-town expedition behaviour.
- Help NOLS foster a strong local presence in New Zealand.
Equal Employment Opportunity
NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
Criminal Background Check: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
Motor Vehicle Record:Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s licence. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
NOLS New Zealand
4 Serpentine River Road, Aniseed Valley, Richmond
How to Apply:
Send Cover Letter and Resume to Christian Martin, New Zealand Program Director
Email: [email protected]
Phone: (03) 544 6657
Contact Christian Martin with questions.
Closing Date For Applications: 10 June 2022
Starting Date: Early August 2022
This position is a nine-month fixed term position starting early-August 2022 and finishing late-April 2023. Over the duration of the contract weekly hours will vary but will average between 25-30 hours per week, exclusive of 3 weeks off over the Christmas/New Year period. Basic housing with communal facilities may be available on-site at subsidised rates.
Hourly rate for this position will depend on experience and starts from NZ$25.15 per hour.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.