North Cascades Institute seeks a qualified, enthusiastic professional cook to join our Kitchen Team. Based out of the Institute’s field campus in North Cascades National Park, this position supports food services at the North Cascades Environmental Learning Center, which serves up to 80 children and/or adults per day on a seven-day-a-week schedule. Supervised by the Head Chef, this position works closely with many Institute staff, partners and contractors to support a wide array of educational programs. This includes the Foodshed Project, the Institute’s initiative to incorporate local, organic products in the operation of the Learning Center.
This is a regular, full-time (32-40 hours per week), non-exempt position subject to a winter furlough (unpaid) of one month. Wage is $16.25 to $17.25 per hour, DOE. Benefits include paid time off, holiday pay, health insurance, long and short-term disability and life insurance, tax-deferred annuity and contribution retirement plan, and a yearly stipend to participate in Institute programs. Shared staff rental housing may be available at $300.00 per month. Pets and smoking are not allowed in housing or on campus.
January 16, 2022
● One year or more professional food service experience
● Final offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check that may include employment history, national criminal backgrou
● Enthusiasm for and experience with “Foodshed” principals and the “Slow Food” movement
● Ability to take initiative and prioritize tasks with exemplary time management and problem-solving skills
● Ability to give and receive direction in a way that models respect
● Ability to comply with a smoke- and drug-free work environment
● Ability to lift 50 pounds consistently
● Previous food service experience at other residential learning centers, camps, schools or similar facilities
● Professional food service experience in an institutional setting, preparing diverse, health-conscious meals for children and adult groups, including foods that incorporate fresh, local and/or organic ingredients
About North Cascades Institute
North Cascades Institute's mission is to inspire environmental stewardship through transformative learning experiences in nature. Since 1986, we have helped connect people, nature and community through science, art, literature and the hands-on study of natural and cultural history. Our goal is to help people of all ages and backgrounds experience and enjoy the mountains, rivers, forests, people and wildlife of the Pacific Northwest – so all will care for and protect this special place.
North Cascades Institute is a respected leader among U.S. environmental education organizations, and we believe that sustainable communities are built on healthy environments, vibrant economies and social equity. The Institute is in sound financial health with a $4 million budget and strong reserves, and 15 four-star ratings with Charity Navigator for sound fiscal management and commitment to accountability and transparency.