Summary of Position
North Cascades Institute is looking for a Director of Inclusion and Community Partnerships to join our Leadership Team. This is a regular, exempt, full-time position located at the Institute’s Sedro-Woolley office, with regular, scheduled time at the Environmental Learning Center (supervision and location TBD based on COVID-19 impacts). People of Color and members of the LGBTQ+ community are strongly encouraged to apply.
We are seeking someone who brings a whole-hearted approach to work and strives to create a sense of kinship, inclusion, and stewardship that encourages all to care for and protect this special part of the world. The Director of Inclusion and Community Partnerships is a new position at North Cascades Institute which will provide vision, leadership and coordination to develop and implement an Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) Program that supports the Institute’s overall Strategic Plan and Operational Goals. Since this is a new position for the Institute, we intend for the selected candidate to help co-create/co-define the structure as this job evolves. We are committed to supporting this position as we work together to develop and implement strategies to carry out our equity goals.
The position has significant internal and external responsibilities:
• Develop and implement initiatives that promote growth, learning, accessibility, equity, inclusion and diversity throughout the Institute.
• Identify and nurture relationships with local and regional BIPOC and LGBTQ+ communities (particularly local Tribes and Latinx organizations), and other local community organizations to cultivate shared values and build bridges for institutional and program collaboration.
• Serve as a thought leader in conversations about justice, equity, diversity and inclusion with the Institute’s board of directors, leadership team, staff, participants, and community partners.
• Demonstrated enthusiasm and commitment toward the vision, mission, and values of North Cascades Institute.
• Five to ten years of relevant EDI experience, with five of those years in a leadership position, preferably with a nonprofit organization.
• Strong empathy/emotional intelligence and the ability to connect and build successful working relationships with both marginalized and privileged identities. Demonstrated personal traits of maturity, kindness, humor and grace under pressure.
About North Cascades Institute
North Cascades Institute's mission is to inspire environmental stewardship through transformative learning experiences in nature. Since 1986, we have helped connect people, nature and community through science, art, literature and the hands-on study of natural and cultural history. Our goal is to help people of all ages and backgrounds experience and enjoy the mountains, rivers, forests, people and wildlife of the Pacific Northwest – so all will care for and protect this special place.
North Cascades Institute is a respected leader among U.S. environmental education organizations, and we believe that sustainable communities are built on healthy environments, vibrant economies and social equity. The Institute is in sound financial health with a $4 million budget and strong reserves, and 15 four-star ratings with Charity Navigator for sound fiscal management and commitment to accountability and transparency.