North Cascades Institute is seeking a dynamic, energetic leader to be its new Program Director. Candidates must have a strong connection to, and passion for, the Institute’s mission “to inspire environmental stewardship through transformative learning experiences in nature.” This is a unique opportunity to join North Cascades Institute at a time of growth and transition.
The Program Director is responsible for overseeing education programs at the North Cascades Institute. We expect the Program Director to build upon our strong reputation as a leading place-based educational institution, to develop a world-class organization with broad regional and national reach. The Program Director is a core member of the Institutes Leadership Team, engaged in strategic planning, annual operational goals and budget objectives.
Working from the Institute’s field campus on Diablo Lake in the heart of North Cascades National Park, this position oversees core education programs serving people of all ages throughout the year. Supervised by the Learning Center Director, this position works closely with Institute staff, partners and contractors to support a wide array of educational programs. The Institute strives to further our identity as an institution that welcomes and embraces diversity in community and curriculum, works to redress historical inequities, and seeks a diverse pool of candidates.
Since 1986 the Institute has helped connect people, nature and community through science, art, literature and the hands-on study of natural and cultural history. Our goal is to help people of all ages and backgrounds experience and enjoy the mountains, rivers, forests, people and wildlife of the Pacific Northwest – so all will care for and protect this special place. The Institute is committed to innovation and excellence in environmental learning and leadership in the nonprofit community. We believe that sustainable communities are built on healthy environments, vibrant economies and social equity.
To see the full job description, please visit our website, http://ncascades.atsondemand.com/
• Familiarity with Performance Coaching model of supervision
• Fluency in multiple languages, Spanish preference
• Current certification as Wilderness First Responder or EMT
• Ability to comply with a smoke- and drug-free work environment
• Criminal history disclosure form and background check will be required
• Willingness to commute to and work in a remote National Park including experiencing snow-covered roads, avalanches, wildfire, smoke, wild animals, and flooding
• Enthusiasm for the mission of the North Cascades Institute.
• Demonstrated ability to coach and motivate staff and foster a positive workplace environment.
• Initiative/ability to prioritize tasks with exemplary time management and problem-solving skills.
• Strong writing and presentation skills.
• Professional experience in environmental or place-based education
• Strong leadership skills (minimum 3 years supervisory experience)
• Entrepreneurial attitude, and able to lead Institute growth
Preferred Ability and Experience:
• Residential learning centers, camps, schools or similar facilities
• Teaching interdisciplinary natural and cultural history
• Program evaluation and assessment
• Partnerships, particularly agencies and/or higher education
• Leading and teaching in place-based, field and backcountry settings
• Environmental education with urban or tribal communities.
• Communities that are historically marginalized or underrepresented in the field of environmental education
About North Cascades Institute
North Cascades Institute's mission is to inspire environmental stewardship through transformative learning experiences in nature. Since 1986, we have helped connect people, nature and community through science, art, literature and the hands-on study of natural and cultural history. Our goal is to help people of all ages and backgrounds experience and enjoy the mountains, rivers, forests, people and wildlife of the Pacific Northwest – so all will care for and protect this special place.
North Cascades Institute is a respected leader among U.S. environmental education organizations, and we believe that sustainable communities are built on healthy environments, vibrant economies and social equity. The Institute is in sound financial health with a $4 million budget and strong reserves, and 15 four-star ratings with Charity Navigator for sound fiscal management and commitment to accountability and transparency.