North Cascades Institute seeks a qualified Skagit Tours Retail Assistant to work at the Skagit Information Center in Newhalem, WA. North Cascades Institute operates this sale site within the North Cascades National Park Complex, located approximately 60 miles east of Sedro-Woolley, WA.
The Skagit Information Center offers information to Park visitors as well as books, trail guides, maps, educational products, apparel, and mementos that appeal to a variety of visitors and inspire them to experience, enjoy and appreciate the North Cascades. The assistant will work with National Park Interpretive Rangers, Institute employees, and Seattle City Light employees to help visitors explore the ecosystems and increase their awareness, knowledge, and appreciation of the North Cascades National Park and the North Cascades.
This is a paid, full-time, seasonal position running from May 25 – September 26, 2021. In May and June, Retail Assistants should expect to work approximately 24 hrs over 3 days each week from Friday through Sunday. In July through September, please expect to work five days (approximately 40 hours) each week, including some weekends and holidays. It is possible to work less than 40 hours due to Covid program restrictions.
The ideal candidate is a creative, energetic, professional, motivated, cooperative team player willing to have fun. They possess a strong work ethic with motivation to grow professionally as an instructor and as a key staff member of a mission-driven organization.
Program Instruction & Delivery (50%)
● Create a physically and emotionally safe learning environment for participants
● Design and implement tour programs for small to large groups with clear learning objectives including lessons in natural and cultural history, science, the arts, and other subjects
● Lead boat tours for small groups on Diablo Lake
● Provide excellent customer service
● Regularly report on programming activities and field issues/concerns to Program Coordinator
● Participate in all scheduled program trainings, interpretive instructor meetings, check-ins with supervisor
● Participate in peer observations and feedback
● Manage, respond to, and report any risk management incidents
● Provide ELC facilities, housekeeping, and kitchen staff with occasional light duty support
● Support marketing and registration to promote enrollment
Retail Duties at Skagit Information Center (50%)
● Provide local information to visitors
● Handle sales transactions
● Maintain orderly and attractive appearance of retail area including timely merchandise displays● Maintain a working knowledge of all stock in order to hand sell to visitors
● Maintain inventory stock in stores to meet sales; restock sites as needed
● Participate in season end inventories
● Develop expertise in use of Point of Sale (POS) system and cash register
● Maintain financial records for opening and closing of the till and the change bag
● Ability to work with people from diverse learning types, backgrounds, cultures, and ages
● Enthusiasm for learning and sharing about the North Cascades
● Good judgment, flexibility and ability to work independently and reliably
● Ability to lift and carry 30 pounds
● Ability to work flexible hours including weekends
● Ability to work and live in a small, rural community
● Final offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check
About North Cascades Institute
North Cascades Institute's mission is to inspire environmental stewardship through transformative learning experiences in nature. Since 1986, we have helped connect people, nature and community through science, art, literature and the hands-on study of natural and cultural history. Our goal is to help people of all ages and backgrounds experience and enjoy the mountains, rivers, forests, people and wildlife of the Pacific Northwest – so all will care for and protect this special place.
North Cascades Institute is a respected leader among U.S. environmental education organizations, and we believe that sustainable communities are built on healthy environments, vibrant economies and social equity. The Institute is in sound financial health with a $4 million budget and strong reserves, and 15 four-star ratings with Charity Navigator for sound fiscal management and commitment to accountability and transparency.