As a member of our Senior Leadership Team, the Director of Equity, Inclusion & Diversity (EID) will guide Northwest Outward Bound School’s next phase of ensuring broad relevance and authentic inclusivity in our experiential education work.
This position will provide strategic leadership, guidance, and execution for widespread integration of and accountability for diversity, equity, inclusivity and antiracist policies and practices throughout the organization. The Director will be a cross-functional and highly collaborative leader, touching all aspects of the school’s work as we accelerate and deepen the deliberate evolution of our cultural and institutional practices. Success will include strong partnerships with other senior leaders to influence and evolve areas such as curriculum, program delivery, safety, recruitment/hiring, human resources policies, partnerships and marketing/communications.
● Minimum 6-8 years of relevant experience in the outdoor education, traditional education, or related fields, including 3+ years leading EID initiatives and other impact-focused, change management efforts.
● Strong project management skills, ability to meet deadlines and self-starter work ethic.
● Passion for educational equity and increasing access to experiences and education for marginalized youth and adults.
● Past training and leadership in EID work, particularly pertaining to working with marginalized populations and culturally specific organizations.
● A passion for the Outward Bound mission and a commitment to the value of service.
About Northwest Outward Bound School
With over 50 years of innovation in experiential and outdoor education in the Pacific Northwest, Northwest Outward Bound School (NWOBS) continues to change lives through challenge and discovery. Our transformative and educational wilderness courses are set in some of the most dramatic and stunning parts of the United States. NWOBS was founded in 1965 and facilitates wilderness-based programs in Oregon, Washington, and Idaho, and also serves urban youth and schools in the Portland metropolitan area. As an Outward Bound school, we are committed to the core values of compassion, integrity, excellence, equity, inclusion and diversity, and strive to achieve the following outcomes: building character, developing leadership skills, and creating an ethic of social and environmental responsibility.