Prep Camp Cook
Special Project, Full-Time; scheduled to work September 2021 – October 2021
2 positions available
Bring your cooking skills to the Coastal Discovery Center at Camp Gray, owned by the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI), and cook for a site that inspires curiosity of hundreds of kids throughout the year! The OMSI Outdoor Prep Camp Cook are essential community members of passionate educators and learners. They provide more than just food; they offer thoughtful meals, comfort, and nourishment for all. The Prep Camp Cook prepares ingredients necessary for breakfast, lunch and dinner for the OMSI Outdoors programs at the Coastal Discovery Center at Camp Gray in Newport, Oregon. You’ll also participate in OMSI’s vision to ignite an education transformation at the intersection of science, technology and design, and weave a thriving innovation district into the fabric of Portland, that spreads opportunities across the Northwest.
What you’ll do:
• Prepare ingredients quickly and efficiently for large school and summer camp groups at designated times.
• Wash dishes used in meal preparation and as needed.
• Maintain Oregon Health Code and American Camping Association standards in handling, cooking, and storing of food.
What you’ll need:
• Understanding of food safety, protocol, and regulations.
• Ability to operate kitchen equipment and tools safety.
• Strong customer service skills.
• High School Diploma or Equivalent.
• Experience in a commercial kitchen.
• Current Oregon Food Handlers Certificate.
• Must be at least 18 years old to operate, repair or clean power-driven food slicers, grinders, choppers and mixers.
• Pass pre-employment checks, such as criminal background check, American Camp Association (ACA) background checks, and reference checks.
• Hourly rate of $14.00 per hour.
• Competitive health benefits and sick time.
All are welcome at OMSI.
As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to recruiting, hiring, developing, and retaining individuals from a diverse candidate pool regardless of race, age, ethnicity, religion, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, citizenship status, marital status, national origin, physical or mental disability, or any other legally protected status.
Equity, diversity, and inclusion guide our process as we build a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills so that we can better reflect and serve our community. We strongly invite applications from candidates who share our commitment to diversity.
About Oregon Museum of Science and Industry
OMSI, a non-profit museum in Portland, OR, is a center of excellence in science teaching and learning and a valued destination for the community. Founded in 1944, OMSI is ranked as one of the nation's top ten science museums and a world-class tourist attraction and educational resource that reaches one million people each year. We are proud to be the largest museum-based outdoor education program in the country.