JOB OBJECTIVE: The NOLS Patagonia Logistics and Evac Manager coordinates all course logistics, including re-rations, and supervises the transportation department. This person serves as NOLS Patagonia’s primary weekday evacuation coordinator. NOLS Patagonia Logistics and Evac Manager also maintains all off-trail information, local contacts and land ownership databases for the location.
QUALIFICATIONS: Knowledge of Patagonia’s geography and culture is required. Field experience in Patagonia is needed. Ideally is a Wilderness Medicine Instructor. Must be able to conduct business through written and oral communication in both Spanish and English. Necessary skills include self-motivation, problem-solving, flexibility, the ability to plan and prioritize time and projects for self and others. Working knowledge of computer skills such as Google Calendar, Excel, and Word is a must. Driving skills and mechanical abilities are preferred. The ability to get along with others in a close living situation is necessary.
LEADERSHIP AND/OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Supervises English and Spanish speaking in-town staff. Coordinates transportation and contracts private services for all courses. Primary contact for communicating permit requests and course locations with government agencies and landowners. Coordinates all course logistics, including re-rations, and supervises the transportation department. Coordinates course evacuations.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Responsible for purchasing and tracking expenses in accounts totaling $150,000USD. Routinely holds cash up to $4,000USD and is responsible for organizing receipts and accounting for those funds. Oversees maintenance and care of the vehicle fleet, including buses and a cargo truck.
- Crafts and updates course calendars in Google Calendar.
- Updates course area Geographical Information System (GIS) during the season.
- Independently negotiates contracts with remote local service providers for course support.
- Supervises drivers and cares for NOLS fleet in line with NOLS Transportation Policy and Chilean legislation.
- Coordinates use priorities for all NOLS vehicles in Chile.
- Organizes defensive driving training and driver check-off systems.
- Organizes and updates logistics and evacuation resources for all course areas.
- Serves as primary weekday evacuation coordinator.
- The Logistics and Evac Manager will hold primary responsibility for orchestrating logistical support for evacuees receiving medical care and returning to their families, with the support of other location staff.
- Manage all aspects of course evacuation logistics.
- Coach instructors during evacuation decisions and course logistic change requests.
- Advise instructors on student performance issues.
- Communicate with parents, guardians or family members.
- Co-manage incident database and student separation paperwork.
- Assists in developing budgets for gas, vehicle maintenance, private services and in-town travel accounts.
- Carries out monthly expense reviews and develops trimester projections above-mentioned accounts under their supervision.
- Assumes a leadership role in maintaining a healthy working atmosphere at NOLS Patagonia.
- Other duties as assigned by NOLS Patagonia operations manager.
Equal Employment Opportunity
NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
NOLS participates in E-verify
MOTOR VEHICLE CHECK: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
COVID-19 Vaccine Policy
All employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their first day of work, unless they meet a medical, disability or religious exemption and a reasonable accommodation is approved. Any COVID-19 vaccine approved by the World Health Organization (WHO) is an acceptable vaccine for the purpose of this policy. Full vaccination or an approved exemption is a condition of employment for all new employees.
WORK LOCATION AND CONDITIONS: Location is at NOLS Patagonia headquarters in Coyhaique, Chile. This is a nine-month position running from mid August through mid May.
HOW TO APPLY:
Send cover letter and resume to:
NOLS Patagonia Finances and HHRR Manager, Karen Gallegos.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: +56 983880545
Contact Karen Gallegos with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: June 15th, 2022.
Employment Dates: start on August 15th, 2022.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.