NOLS (National Outdoor Leadership School) is a nonprofit global wilderness school that supports thousands of students each year all over the world. Our school began in a small cabin in Sinks Canyon, Wyoming in 1965 as the National Outdoor Leadership School. At that time, we were primarily an outdoors skills school, doing our work in local mountain ranges and exploring what it meant to teach leadership in the backcountry. Today, we are NOLS, a multifaceted wilderness school headquartered in Lander, Wyoming with locations in seven U.S. states and six countries, that supports thousands of students each year all over the world in both field & classroom courses.
The Peak Scholars and Bridge Affiliate Program Manager administers both the Peak Scholarship and Bridge Affiliate Program. The Program Manager leads the strategic development of these relationships and evaluates potential new programs. This individual will also support customized cohort-based courses for certain organizations. They will negotiate contracts, design curriculum, and assess program efficacy.
Through the Peak Scholars program, NOLS provides scholarships to partner organizations for students from communities historically underrepresented at NOLS and in the outdoors. In support of the school’s mission and goals, they currently cultivate and manage relationships with approximately 40 active partner organizations and work with organizations interested in partnerships in the future.
The Bridge Affiliate Program provides a pathway for organizations to enroll their people onto NOLS courses while giving them the flexibility to place their students on any NOLS open-enrollment offerings. The program manager stewards relationships with this handful of organizations, responds to inquiries for new partnerships and manages reservations and enrollment for ~50 students.
- Ability to energetically and accurately represent NOLS to a variety of constituents including Peak Scholars, partner programs, and NOLS staff.
- Ability to assess clients’ desired outcomes and to suggest NOLS-delivered solutions in a dynamic manner.
- Experience building and maintaining long-term relationships with partners to help them accomplish their programmatic goals.
- Strong project management skills – initiative, flexibility, and thoughtful decision-making to achieve performance objectives.
- Strong oral and written communication skills and ability to build rapport while vetting potential partners.
- Ability and willingness to work outside normal business hours to support program development and execution, including briefing and debriefing campus staff and field faculty.
- Ability to balance being a member of a fast-paced, dynamic team while also remaining self-directed, seeking feedback, articulating needs, and maintaining a high degree of ownership and responsibility.
- Ability to act independently and in the supervisor’s stead as needed and exercise independent judgment to identify and solve problems.
Leadership or Supervisory Duties
Manages a client portfolio, requiring ongoing attention to nurture these relationships for Custom Education, Peak Scholars, and the Bridge Affiliate Program. Establishes collaborative working relationships within Custom Ed and NOLS to increase understanding of and support for Custom Ed programs. Stays current on NOLS programs. Some fieldwork or classroom-teaching opportunities for NOLS qualified faculty.
Funds and/or Property
Responsible for allocating and managing the Peak Scholars scholarship budget ($200K presently) and the Bridge Affiliate Program budget (~$45,000). Negotiate Custom Ed contracts with outside organizations for educational programming. Typical contracts range from $25,000 to $300,000. Responsible for staying within budget guidelines.
- Manage the Peak Scholars and Bridge Affiliate Programs. Establish relationships with partner organizations to understand their short- and long-term goals.
- Track and manage reservations and enrollment to maximize the number of participants and to ensure partner organizations’ goals are met.
- Provide content expertise to the Advancement team. Recommend future direction for the Peak Scholars and Bridge Affiliate Programs.
- Work with Custom Ed staff to maintain positive relationships with a portfolio of clients, and manage course logistics with NOLS campuses and outside sponsors.
- Support NOLS Custom Ed courses based at NOLS campuses by providing client orientations for these programs and participate in the debriefing process to communicate outcomes directly with clients.
- Cultivate strong networks externally and internally (to include NOLS Field Staffing and NOLS campuses).
- Pursue new opportunities with potential clients and opportunities for expanding programs with existing clients. Cultivate long-term client relationships with current and prospective clients. Design course curriculum in one or more NOLS core curriculum areas. Ensures necessary tracking and follow-up.
- Occasional weekend and evening work schedule in order to support student service at times that are convenient for our students, families, and organizational contacts.
- Serve in the Custom Education on-call rotation.
- The above duties should not be considered an exhaustive list; other responsibilities may be required.
Work Location and Compensation
This position can be based at the NOLS Headquarters in Lander, WY. If a remote option is offered, you must be a legal resident of: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Maine, Minnesota, Montana, New York, Utah, Washington, or Wyoming. Current employees and residents in the state of Colorado please contact HR for salary information.
Lander is a small mountain town in the foothills of Wyoming’s Wind River Range on territory traditionally used by indigenous people, including the Northern Arapaho, Eastern Shoshone, Cheyenne, Bannock, and Crow. Lander offers immediate access to public lands for climbing, cycling, fishing, hiking, hunting, skiing, and more. You will be surrounded by people passionate about playing in the outdoors.
COVID-19 Vaccine Policy
All employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their first day of work, unless they meet a medical, disability, or religious exemption and a reasonable accommodation is approved. Any COVID-19 vaccine approved by the World Health Organization (WHO) is an acceptable vaccine for the purpose of this policy. Full vaccination or an approved exemption is a condition of employment for all new employees.
Equal Employment Opportunity
NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
NOLS values community and fosters a sense of belonging for our employees and applicants. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations in the workplace because they embody these values, as well as our operating principle of promoting a positive, safe, and learning environment. Reasonable accommodations may be requested for disability; limitations related to pregnancy, childbirth, or a related medical condition; religion; and domestic violence, sexual assault, stalking, or harassment. Reasonable accommodations may be requested at any point of the employment process, including during recruitment. Please email [email protected] with your request.
- A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
- NOLS participates in E-verify.
How to Apply
Closing Date for Applications
Open Until Filled
The target start date for this role is two weeks from the time of offer.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.