Camper Conservation Staff work at remote project sites, providing educational work experiences for
Philmont’s backcountry trek participants. They train scouts and advisors to safely and efficiently use hand
tools in performing conservation work. They teach about Philmont’s land management philosophies, both
modern and historic. They typically lead projects focused on trail construction, forestry, erosion control,
or habitat restoration.
• Be over 18 years of age
• Be able to hike to remote worksites, carrying loads up to 60 pounds.
• Be prepared for strenuous workdays that include hiking and working on rough terrain, in all
weather conditions, for 9-12 hours.
• Be prepared to spend up to 9 consecutive nights per work hitch in undeveloped backcountry
• Meet the BSA height/weight requirements for high-adventure activities.
• Provide a completed Annual Health and Medical Record upon arrival at Philmont.
• Exemplify the rules, regulations, policies, and procedures described in the Philmont Staff
Guidebook and presented during staff training.
• Maintain a clean and approachable look, adhering to the standards for personal appearance
described in the Philmont Staff Guidebook.
• Maintain a friendly, helpful, and respectful attitude while providing extraordinary customer
service to Philmont’s participants, visitors, and employees.
• Become familiar with all materials supplied prior to the camping season.
About Philmont Scout Ranch
Each summer, more than 23,000 scouts travel from all corners of the US and abroad to participate in the rich backcountry program and trekking opportunities available at Philmont Scout Ranch. 35 staffed backcountry camps scattered throughout the 140,171-acre facility provide assorted programs ranging from rock climbing to horseback riding to mine tours and living history. Since 1939, Philmont programs have attracted more than 1 million participants. The Philmont property is also home to the national training center and national museum for the Boy Scouts of America.
Philmont employs approximately 80 full-time employees and more than 1,300 seasonal staff members. Information about seasonal staff opportunities and internships can be found at www.philmontscoutranch.org/jobs. Full time employment opportunities can be found at www.philmontscoutranch.org/employment.