NOLS (National Outdoor Leadership School) is a nonprofit global wilderness school that supports thousands of students each year all over the world. Our school began in a small cabin in Sinks Canyon, Wyoming in 1965 as the National Outdoor Leadership School. At that time, we were primarily an outdoors skills school, doing our work in local mountain ranges and exploring what it meant to teach leadership in the backcountry. Today, we are NOLS, a multifaceted wilderness school headquartered in Lander, Wyoming with locations in seven U.S. states and six countries, that supports thousands of students each year all over the world in both field & classroom courses.
This Driver Mechanic position is based out of NOLS’ largest location, NOLS Rocky Mountain, located in Lander, WY. Lander is a small mountain town in the foothills of Wyoming’s Wind River Range. Lander offers immediate access to public lands for climbing, cycling, fishing, hiking, hunting, skiing, and more. You will be surrounded by people passionate about playing in the outdoors.
The NOLS Rocky Mountain Driver Mechanic transports NOLS students and staff safely around the Rocky Mountain west and works to maintain the NOLS vehicle fleet. They drive buses, vans, and two and four-wheel drive vehicles occasionally with trailers. If qualified, they supervise and/or work on fleet maintenance projects including automotive painting projects, welding and fabricating, and other special projects. They remain flexible to changing and uncertain schedules and time on the road, and maintain excellent, welcoming customer service.
- Experience with a wide range of driving, mechanic, and 4-cycle/2-cycle work.
- A Wyoming Class B CDL license or the ability to obtain upon hire.
- Subject to DOT physical exam updates every two years.
- Able to work weekends, odd hours and be on the road for 2-5 days at a time away from Lander, WY.
- Comfort with driving and camping in remote areas.
- Able to lift and carry 50-125 lbs. repeatedly (e.g. carry 100 lb. backpacks to the top of a bus).
- Able to drive periodic shifts of long hours in company buses, trucks and vans. In some cases, these drives involve up to 10 hour days behind the wheel, 15 hours cumulative.
- Interest in working with a variety of people from different backgrounds in a dynamic nonprofit work environment.
- Ability to function autonomously as well part of a team.
- Positive attitude, flexible, and solution-oriented approach to challenge.
- Drive courses by bus throughout the Rocky Mountain states (Wyoming, Utah, Idaho, Colorado and Montana) in all four seasons and adverse weather conditions, including snow, ice and variable wind. Maintain a daily log book whether driving or working in town.
- Assist with vehicle maintenance program; this includes performing routine driver services, to more involved 3,000 and 6,000 mile maintenance tasks. Work as a mechanic on a fleet of 40 motorized vehicles and 22 trailers.
- Weld and fabricate special projects.
- Perform special projects and duties, as assigned, including assisting with administrative paperwork, seasonal logistics planning, and clean-up duties.
This position is located at NOLS Rocky Mountain location in Lander, WY. This is a full-time, year round, benefitted position. Housing is not provided.
COVID-19 Vaccine Policy
All employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their first day of work, unless they meet a medical, disability or religious exemption and a reasonable accommodation is approved. Any COVID-19 vaccine approved by the World Health Organization (WHO) is an acceptable vaccine for the purpose of this policy. Full vaccination or an approved exemption is a condition of employment for all new employees.
Equal Employment Opportunity
NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
NOLS values community and fosters a sense of belonging for our employees and applicants. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations in the workplace because they embody these values, as well as our operating principle of promoting a positive, safe, and learning environment. Reasonable accommodations may be requested for disability; limitations related to pregnancy, childbirth, or a related medical condition; religion; and domestic violence, sexual assault, stalking, or harassment. Reasonable accommodations may be requested at any point of the employment process, including during recruitment. Please email [email protected] with your request.
- Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
- A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
- NOLS participates in E-verify.
- Subject to initial pre-hire drug and alcohol screening and periodic random drug and alcohol screening on a quarterly basis thereafter.
- Current NOLS employees please note it is NOLS policy to conduct an internal reference check with human resources and/or your current supervisor as part of the reference check process. If you have any questions or concerns about this process please contact human resources.
How to Apply
Please send your cover letter, resume, and the contract information for 2-3 professional references to: Tom Sweet, NOLS Rocky Mountain Transportation Manager at [email protected]
Closing Date for Applications
Open Until Filled
The target start date for this role is two weeks from the time of offer.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.