NOLS (National Outdoor Leadership School) is a nonprofit global wilderness school that supports thousands of students each year all over the world. Our school began in a small cabin in Sinks Canyon, Wyoming in 1965 as the National Outdoor Leadership School. At that time, we were primarily an outdoors skills school, doing our work in local mountain ranges and exploring what it meant to teach leadership in the backcountry. Today, we are NOLS, a multifaceted wilderness school headquartered in Lander, Wyoming with locations in seven U.S. states and six countries, that supports thousands of students each year all over the world in both field & classroom courses.
Assist in creating a welcoming, supportive Outfitting department for students, faculty, and community members at NOLS Rocky Mountain. Facilitate gear preparation and maintenance for expedition courses. Inspect, maintain, and repair clothing and equipment. Ensure that students and instructors are prepared with proper gear and also feel support and connection through that process. Serve as an extension of the field experience and strive to offer focused support to students and instructors with that intention in mind.
- Experience with the use and function of Rocky Mountain Outfitting equipment, including gear associated with backpacking, canyoneering, rock climbing, and backcountry skiing
- Effective organizational and communication skills
- Strong work ethic with high attention to detail
- Ability to work effectively on a team, delegate appropriately, and complete tasks independently
- Positive, friendly approach to student-service
- Ability to work flexible and irregular hours, including weekends, with a goal of maintaining a 40-hour work week
- Familiar with the Google Suite (Gmail, Google Drive, Google Docs, and Google Sheets)
- Capable of lifting up to 50 pounds, working while standing for extended periods of time
- Support students and field staff during course briefings, starts, transitions, and closing days
- Check, clean, repair, prepare, and maintain Outfitting equipment (if unfamiliar with any of these skills, a desire to learn and practice these skills is essential)
- Maintain equipment sheets and handle student equipment charges
- Provide assistance to instructors with pre-course preparation
- Receiving and inventorying incoming orders of gear and participating in a biannual inventory
- Commitment to learning about and implementing repair practices
- Provide instruction and training in equipment repair and maintenance for staff, students, and instructors, while promoting a sense of ownership and care
- Maintain general cleanliness and organization of Outfitting facilities
- Supervise and train seasonal/temporary staff
- Other responsibilities as assigned
Work Location and Compensation
NOLS Rocky Mountain, Lander, WY. This is a benefitted, salaried, full-time, year-round position.
COVID-19 Vaccine Policy
All employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their first day of work, unless they meet a medical, disability or religious exemption and a reasonable accommodation is approved. Any COVID-19 vaccine approved by the World Health Organization (WHO) is an acceptable vaccine for the purpose of this policy. Full vaccination or an approved exemption is a condition of employment for all new employees.
Equal Employment Opportunity
NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
NOLS values community and fosters a sense of belonging for our employees and applicants. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations in the workplace because they embody these values, as well as our operating principle of promoting a positive, safe, and learning environment. Reasonable accommodations may be requested for disability; limitations related to pregnancy, childbirth, or a related medical condition; religion; and domestic violence, sexual assault, stalking, or harassment. Reasonable accommodations may be requested at any point of the employment process, including during recruitment. Please email [email protected] with your request.
- A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
- NOLS participates in E-verify.
- Current NOLS employees please note it is NOLS policy to conduct an internal reference check with human resources and/or your current supervisor as part of the reference check process. If you have any questions or concerns about this process please contact human resources.
How to Apply
Please send your cover letter and resume, and any questions to: Jeremy Cronon, NOLS Rocky Mountain Outfitting Manager, at [email protected]
Closing Date for Applications
August 15, 2022
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.