NOLS (National Outdoor Leadership School) is a nonprofit global wilderness school that supports thousands of students each year all over the world. Our school began in a small cabin in Sinks Canyon, Wyoming in 1965 as the National Outdoor Leadership School. At that time, we were primarily an outdoors skills school, doing our work in local mountain ranges and exploring what it meant to teach leadership in the backcountry. Today, we are NOLS, a multifaceted wilderness school headquartered in Lander, Wyoming with locations in seven U.S. states and six countries, that supports thousands of students each year all over the world in both field & classroom courses.
Assist in the NOLS Rocky Mountain rations (field food) department. Pack nutritious food for field courses and promote a friendly, inclusive, and welcoming environment for students, field faculty, staff, and community members.
- Desire to learn about bulk field rations, field cooking, and nutrition.
- Effective communication skills and a strong work ethic.
- Ability to work effectively on a team and follow through with tasks independently.
- Positive, friendly approach to student-service.
- Hard-working, detail-oriented, and committed to excellence.
- Ability to work flexible and irregular hours, with a goal of maintaining a 40-hour work week.
- Able to lift and carry 50 pounds.
- Bag and divide course rations and re-rations.
- Receive and put away food orders.
- Restock bulk food bins.
- Supervise instructors and students throughout the rationing process.
- Maintain a clean, orderly, and sanitary rations facility.
- Provide timely and growth-oriented feedback to supervisors and co-workers.
- Assist with public food sales.
The above duties should not be considered an exhaustive list; other responsibilities may be required.
Work Location and Compensation
NOLS Rocky Mountain, Lander, WY. This is a salaried seasonal position. The position will plan on 40 hours of work per week, with occasional weekend hours. Housing available for a small fee.
COVID-19 Vaccine Policy
All employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their first day of work, unless they meet a medical, disability or religious exemption and a reasonable accommodation is approved. Any COVID-19 vaccine approved by the World Health Organization (WHO) is an acceptable vaccine for the purpose of this policy. Full vaccination or an approved exemption is a condition of employment for all new employees.
Equal Employment Opportunity
NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
NOLS values community and fosters a sense of belonging for our employees and applicants. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations in the workplace because they embody these values, as well as our operating principle of promoting a positive, safe, and learning environment. Reasonable accommodations may be requested for disability; limitations related to pregnancy, childbirth, or a related medical condition; religion; and domestic violence, sexual assault, stalking, or harassment. Reasonable accommodations may be requested at any point of the employment process, including during recruitment. Please email [email protected] with your request.
- A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
- NOLS participates in E-verify.
- Current NOLS employees please note it is NOLS policy to conduct an internal reference check with human resources and/or your current supervisor as part of the reference check process. If you have any questions or concerns about this process please contact human resources.
How to Apply
Please send your cover letter and resume, and any questions to: Justin Kobylt, NOLS Rocky Mountain Rations Manager, at [email protected]
Closing Date for Applications
July 25, 2022
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.