Mentor and teach youth outdoor environmental science education as an Environmental Outdoor Program Instructor. Many of our students come from schools and communities that face financial barriers and access to high-quality STEM programs like Sierra Nevada Journeys. As a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that’s been around for more than 15 years, we have a diverse client mix bringing a variety of opportunities and experiences daily, while positively impacting the lives of program participants.
– Full time, seasonal; start now and finish out the 2022 season with us. You’ll also have the opportunity to renew your contract for the 2023 season (Feb – Nov).
– $95-105/day plus off-site housing and work day meals which is equivalent to $172.77/wk
– Benefits: paid time off, sick days, 403(b) retirement plan with 4% match
– Addl. pay for certifications or experience working with BIPOC students, lifeguard, science instruction, Wilderness First Aid, or First Responder
– +3% for bilingual fluency in Spanish
– Live and work in Northern California, Plumas National Forest, just 50 minutes north of Truckee, CA and Lake Tahoe
– Sierra Nevada Journeys a 501(c)(3) nonprofit doing good work
– Job location: Grizzly Creek Ranch, Portola, CA
Leadership experience or experience working with youth
• Experience delivering culturally relevant camp-based programs for schools or community partners serving youth from under-resourced communities
• Ability to work irregular hours and days including nights and weekends
• Ability to live and work positively with other staff members
• Willingness to be 30-feet off the ground on challenge course high elements
• Background check, lift 50 lbs., willing to obtain CPR and First Aid certs
• Fluency in Spanish or another second language
• Experience in science instruction – either in a formal outdoor setting or in a classroom setting
• Experience working with students from communities of BIPOC
• Wilderness First Aid/Wilderness First Responder Certification
• Current lifeguard certification or willingness to obtain certification before start date
About Sierra Nevada Journeys
Sierra Nevada Journeys is an outdoor science education nonprofit. Since 2006, we’ve helped more than 250,000 youth with our mission to deliver innovative outdoor, science-based education programs to develop critical thinking skills and inspire outdoor stewardship. Sierra Nevada Journeys prioritizes diversity, equity, and inclusion. We believe that active reflection, engagement, and commitment to these principles is crucial to creating a workplace that has diverse perspectives. We believe that environmental education and outdoor recreation should be accessible for all, and we are committed to prioritizing those in our community with the least access. We strive to build our workforce and programs around our ability to serve communities diverse in race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, age, physical and mental ability, values and perspectives.