This is for full-time backpacking guide. The responsibilities of the guide include organizing trip logistics (food and gear prep), conducting trip orientations, all cooking, cleaning and camp chores, repair and maintenance of SYMG gear, completion of trip reports and maintaining a safe, fun and memorable experience for paying clients while in the backcountry.
- Prior experience with leading multi-day wilderness adventures
- Wilderness First Responder and CPR training is the minimum medical certification we accept
- Hands on experience with a variety of backcountry gear including use and repairs - California Food Handler's Certificate
- Excellent conversational, group management, & leadership skills
- Excellent backcountry cooking skills
- Advanced skills and knowledge of your guiding specialty (i.e mountaineering, rock-climbing, backpacking, natural history, etc)
-Knowledge of the Sierra Nevada backcountry (Yosemite to Mt Whitney including the John Muir Trail)
- Prior experience with leading adults on wilderness adventures.
- SYMG offers backpacking, rock climbing and interpretive day hiking trips. Ideally, guides will specialize in at least one of these disciplines and be competent in others.
- Some guides have other credentials such as Search and Rescue, Paramedic, AMGA/PCGI certifications, Orvis Fly-fishing School, etc.
About Southern Yosemite Mountain Guides
Southern Yosemite Mountain Guides is one of North America's premier active travel & guiding services. Founded in 1991 and based outside of the south entrance of Yosemite (Oakhurst/Bass Lake), SYMG specializes in backpacking, stock-supported trekking, rock climbing and natural history trips. We operate primarily in the Sierra Nevada, from Yosemite south through Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Parks. We are proud to have been named "Best Outfitter on Earth" and "Best Adventure Travel Company" by National Geographic Adventure Magazine. SYMG typically employs 15 guides during the summer guiding season. Full time guides average 20 days of work per month in the high season with irregular schedules.