St. Lawrence University seeks to fill a full time, 10-month position of Assistant Director in the Outdoor Program. The Outdoor Program provides professional outdoor recreational and educational programming to the campus community, locally in the Adirondack Mountains, throughout North America, and internationally. Instruction and guiding is done with Outdoor Program staff, unless outside guide services are required. Our goal within the Outdoor Program, aligned with the Mission Statement, is to provide a safe, but challenging environment for students to develop their leadership skills, while encouraging a sustainable form of environmental and wilderness ethic.
Position responsibilities include the following:
• Teach two courses with outdoor related themes in the First Year Program (http://www.stlawu.edu/fyp), one in the Fall semester and one in the Spring semester.
• Teach ½ unit field course during January break.
• Team-teach the Outdoor Leadership Course (Guide Training) part time in Spring Semester.
• Management of one of our campus facilities (indoor climbing wall, canoe livery, equipment room).
• Supervision, management, and continued development of a technical skill program (either climbing, paddling, skiing or other skill set).
Candidates must have a M.A. or M.S. degree
Candidates must have a M.A. or M.S and have experience in outdoor education. Experience is required leading and instructing multi-day technical trips, leading extended wilderness trips, and teaching outdoor leadership. In addition, candidates should be able to teach and lead technical outdoor courses in climbing, paddling, skiing or other technical skill set. Wilderness First Responder & CPR or the ability to obtain before hire.
Professional certifications from appropriate organizations are desirable. Professional experience with organizations such as NOLS, Outward Bound, or similar programs including college Outdoor Programs is preferred.
About St. Lawrence University
St. Lawrence University is committed to and seeks diversity among its faculty, staff and students. Such a commitment ensures an atmosphere that is diverse and complex in ways that are intellectually and socially enriching for the entire campus community. St. Lawrence University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.