Mentor a crew of 3 – 4 young adult members (18 years of age or older), to complete much needed conservation service projects. Crew Leaders must have strong experience teaching or working with youth, be able to maintain a positive work environment and motivate members, and be willing to work outdoors. The crew will be working on projects such as invasive species removal, habitat restoration, trail maintenance, and trail construction in various parks across the DC metro area. Project monitoring and data collection will also be required throughout the season. Leader will also be responsible for completing a final report of work accomplishments.
Specifically, the Crew Leader will:
· Act as a Crew Supervisor, by facilitating teamwork, managing field-based tasks, and guiding crew dynamics
· Serve as an Advisor, by training members in technical conservation work skills, mentoring personal and professional development, and teaching environmental stewardship
· Act as a Project Manager, by communicating with agency park partners, ensuring successful and timely completion of work projects, and upholding a positive representation of SCA
· Perform tasks as a Program Administrator, by organizing logistics, completing documentation, managing a budget, and communicating with SCA staff
· Experience working with young adults (18 years of age or older), teaching or environmental education a plus
· Experience with conservation work skills or related skills preferred – i.e. trail maintenance, trail construction, habitat restoration, chainsaw, carpentry, landscaping, and gardening
· Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements and most occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
· Current First Aid and CPR cert
Must be able to attend Crew Leader training
· Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
· Must have ability to legally work in the US
· Must have a valid driver’s license for 3+ years and MVR that meets SCA standards
· Must be able to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
· Must have personal housing arrangements in the Washington DC metro area.
About Student Conservation Association
The Student Conservation Association (SCA) is America’s conservation corps. Our members protect and restore national parks, marine sanctuaries, cultural landmarks and community green spaces in all 50 states.