– Co-lead groups of adolescents in a therapeutic environment
– Backpack in the Pisgah National Forest
– Experience and facilitate adventure based activities: high and low ropes, initiatives, yoga & meditation
– Advance clinical outcomes of licensed therapists
– Grow personally and professionally
– Learn and teach primitive skills and bushcraft
– Live in rustic cabins and primitive campsites
– Help facilitate a positive change in the lives of children
– 8 days on, 6 days off shift schedule
– Seasonal and full time positions are available
– May be able to apply towards internship requirements
– Located near Asheville, NC
Must be 21 or older.
Current Adult and Child CPR and Basic First-Aid Certifications or Wilderness First Responder are preferred. (Training can be provided upon employment for CPR/FA.)
-Must pass a background check and pre-employment drug screen.
High School/GED or better.
Experience in 1 or more of the following areas is a plus: 1) Experience with at-risk youth in a work setting; 2) Experience in a counseling/teaching capacity with children; 3) Personal competency with wilderness skills and/or a background in facilitating experiential education.
A strength and commitment towards pro-active, interpersonal communication.
About SUWS of the Carolinas
Located in the beautiful Pisgah National Forest in Western North Carolina. We are a wilderness therapy program that provides an intervention and treatment program for young people displaying self-defeating behaviors and destructive decision-making patterns. These behaviors and patterns may be substance abuse problems, difficulty in school, deteriorating personal relationships, a lack of personal care, angry and oppositional behaviors, and a feeling of a loss of control in their lives. SUWS seeks to identify the positive attributes these students already possess, which will help them to overcome their destructive patterns of behavior. We empower students to rediscover their strengths and learn how they can be used in their everyday life. Our students leave prepared to walk a long road of growth. They become more self-reliant, better able to sustain meaningful relationships, and possess a higher level of personal integrity.