This position is for a full time Rock Guide position. Most days will be spent in the front-country of Southern Yosemite leading small groups on Day and Half Day guided climbs in our local area. You would also lead our Rock Weekend and Rock Camp trips which are 3 and 5 days in length.
- AMGA / PCGI Single pitch certification completed
- Wilderness First Responder and CPR training is the minimum medical certification we accept
- California Food Handler's Certificate (can obtain after being offered the position)
- Twenty-one years of age
- Vehicle in good working order
- Availability from June 1-Sept 30, though exact dates are flexible
- Exceptional knowledge of Southern Yosemite Rock Climbing areas including Fresno Dome, Shuteye Ridge, The Balls, etc.
- Prior experience guiding Grade I-II climbs
- Excellent conversational, group management, & leadership skills
- Strong interpretive skills including knowledge of local ecology & history
- Leave No Trace Awareness Course
- Knowledge of the Sierra Nevada backcountry (Yosemite to Mt Whitney including the John Muir Trail)
Southern Yosemite Mountain Guides is one of North America's premier active travel & guiding services. Founded in 1991 and based outside of the south entrance of Yosemite (Oakhurst/Bass Lake), SYMG specializes in backpacking, stock-supported trekking, rock climbing and natural history trips. We operate primarily in the Sierra Nevada, from Yosemite south through Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Parks. We are proud to have been named "Best Outfitter on Earth" and "Best Adventure Travel Company" by National Geographic Adventure Magazine. SYMG typically employs 15 guides during the summer guiding season. Full time guides average 20 days of work per month in the high season with irregular schedules.